Lunarsoft Forums now using stronger StopForumSpam hook

Tarun

• Administrator

A recent update has come out for the StopForumSpam hook that is used here. It allows for better control and handling of potential spammers. This includes allowing potential false positives or those who are linked to an IP that at one time was spam to still register. There will be a few tests done with this new update to find what works optimally.

As always, if you see a spam post or even a potential spam post please report it. Don't reply to the spammer or comment on how the automated spam bot has bumped a thread, etc.

The spammers are out in force again.

I noticed on another site new members with very weird names, software generated I figure. One spammer posted to the forums 26 times in just a few minutes and a number of them filled up status updates as well with links to online pharmacies. It looks like the site removed the forum posts but haven't noticed the status updates yet.

I blame most of the problems on the site admin, he's a pretty lazy guy, takes forever to get him to finally address problems. I know of 2 or 3 important issues still present months later - this is why I no longer bother to log in, swing by then leave - nothing new anyway.

I'm thankful Lunarsoft is on top of spam and forum security as is humanly possible.

• 7 months later...
  • Administrator

Wow, I hadn't noticed yet. A few have gotten through recently and the hook is in need of an update. There are two different spam blockers and I'll be switching back to the one I was originally using soon. It has more blocking, a few more options and control.