Ms Gaffe Leaks Vista Details

MS gaffe leaks Vista details

Correspondents in Seattle

FEBRUARY 22, 2006

MICROSOFT has accidently leaked information on its forthcoming Windows Vista operating system on one of its websites.

Microsoft disclosed information about a plan to release eight different editions of the new operating system on a company help page that was under development. The company has not made any official statement about the different versions of Windows Vista it plans to offer.

The company has since taken down the website and declined to confirm the information. It said it would offer more details about the Vista launch, targeted for the second half of 2006, in the coming weeks.

"Microsoft recently posted a web page designed to test the Windows Vista help system that included incomplete information about the Windows Vista product line up," a Microsoft spokesman said in a statement.

"This page has since been removed as it was posted prematurely and was for testing purposes only."

The five-year gap between the upcoming Vista launch and the current Windows XP marks the longest-ever gap between upgrades for Microsoft's flagship product and the company's largest cash cow.

Various media organisation saw the website before it was taken down and reported that Microsoft plans to offer six primary editions of Vista and an additional two variations for Europe that do not include Windows Media Player to comply with the European Union's past antitrust rulings.

Included in those listed offerings was Windows Starter 2007, a stripped-down version for emerging markets to offer an alternative for pirated software. There was also a basic and premium edition for the home as well as versions for both businesses and large corporations, according to the reports.

The website also listed a high-end product named Windows Vista Ultimate that targets gamers and heavy multimedia users, reports said.

AAP

-------------------------------

Cheers :cry:

Included in those listed offerings was Windows Starter 2007, a stripped-down version for emerging markets to offer an alternative for pirated software.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An alternative for pirated software? So what, is it free?! :cry::D:););):cry::D:);):lol:

MS give something away for free, hahahahahahaha.

Also, I heard 3-4 months ago that Microsoft was planning on releasing 21 different versions of Vista! Hopefully, there will be far less than that, as having dozens of different versions can do nothing but totally bamboozle the users.

Man, :cry:   I just got accustomed to XP.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your computer probably won't be able to run it anyway, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over having to upgrade. Even if/when I own the fastest computer in the world, I still won't upgrade, due to several security compromising additions to Vista.

XP is the last version of Windows I will ever use. And if MS tries to force me to upgrade, by not making WinXP updates anymore, I will simply switch to Linux. They don't scare me. :D

Man, :cry:   I just got accustomed to XP.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still won't upgrade, due to several security compromising additions to Vista.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But those security compromising additions will be fixed (eventually), right? It seems to me that all MS products have several security compromising features. They fix it, and another one appears.

In know, every new version of MS is soooo much more secure than the last one, right? But then, tell me... why is it that people who use Linux never get viruses? Hmm... I guess we'll have to ponder that one. :eyeroll:

And by the way, I also heard that an "extensive test" was taken to see which OS had more vulnerabilities: MS or Linux. The outcome was that MS had less, which surprised me. Until I found out that the tests were both FUNDED and CONDUCTED by Microsoft. Hmm... but they wouldn't lie, right?

Allow me to rofl at MS: rofl, rofl, rofl

the problem with your accusations against MS is that you arent thinking from the perspective of a virus programer. If you created a virus to harm computers, which would have more of an impact, one made for microsoft products, or one made for Linux? Microsoft of course, it owns 85% of the PC market (guestimation on my part, but basically all of it). Its not that MS has more vunerabilities, its just that the amount of people looking for the vunerbilities is 100 times the ammount compared to those trying to harm Macs or Linux computers.

)corjello(

the problem with your accusations against MS is that you arent thinking from the perspective of a virus programer.  If you created a virus to harm computers, which would have more of an impact, one made for microsoft products, or one made for Linux? Microsoft of course, it owns 85% of the PC market (guestimation on my part, but basically all of it). Its not that MS has more vunerabilities, its just that the amount of people looking for the vunerbilities is 100 times the ammount compared to those trying to harm Macs or Linux computers.

)corjello(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps, but there are other things to consider. Microsoft has a limited number of staff who writes the code for their OSes; Linux is open-source, so there are millions of unpaid "employess" who all look at it, and make tweaks to it, and learn from other people's tweaks. So Linux really does have a lot going for it as far as stability goes. Everyone is allowed to freely exploit problems and share fixes, whereas with Windows, all of the code is a big huge secret.

If a mistake is found, everyone can speculate it's cause and think of ways to fix it, whereas Microsoft often simply waits on fixing bugs that are found, or never fixes them at all. Remember how big the recent Windows WMF vulnerability was, and how all sorts of programmers had fixes out before Microsoft even considered patching their own mistake? And Microsoft never did and never will make that WMF patch for Win98/ME users! That is just crap. Those people paid for their computers just like everyone else, but yet MS won't even take the time to fix mistakes in the code they sold to those people. Sad but true.

As far as Macs go, I'm personally not a huge fan, but I will admit that the OS itself is much smoother and more attractive than Windows.

btw, lokoike, have you ever played Pardus?  I saw someone on the forums and I thought it was you =/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't say that I have. Do you have a link to the forum? I would be interested in meeting my twin (although I would doubt that he is nearly as good-looking as myself).