Square One

Ok I am back at square 1. I have my 2wire modem and adapter up and running and internet on both my pc's. I am having a hell of a time figuring out the easiest way to access data on each pc from the other one. Any obvious suggestions of what I could be doin wrong?

Could we have a bit more info?, or even more detail about what you have already said.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a live chat with hp support and he told me i needed to do this. It is on this page that I am overlooking something.

Capman it is hard for me to explain what's wrong cause I don't know. I have the basic hardware set up correctly, I believe. The problem lies in the setup on xp.

Didn't you reinstall recently?

If so I can't believe the way XP is set up is causing problems.

Default XP settings should work fine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you not remember me sending you this? You are slipping.

Edit: And I already fixed that on the old computer. I am past that. It even tells me I have successfully set up my network. I named it "MicrosoftBlows".

Yeah, I still had it open as well. D

Do you not remember me asking you if you had carried out what that page said to do, and you did not reply, which is why I still have the page open ready for your reply.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bite me.

here's something. On my new computer we will call it hunkajunk#1. I have nothing in my taskbar. On hunkajunk#2 (old computer) I have 2 icons that display connection speed. Does that sound right? hunkajunk#1 is hardwired hunkajunk#2 has a wireless usb adapter.

Heres what you do. Set up the as the Same Workgroup. Restart both PC's. Make sure they  are connected to the same router. You then go to network places, view workgroup members, and  there you have it. Your remote PC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did that before and it worked with my old linksys router. I did it with this and nothing.

Maybe I am setting it up wrong

OK I basically have myself right now, An internet connection on both pc's.Which means my hardware is working. I need to set up printer and file sharing.I have to start from the beginning. I am still gonna name it MicrosoftBlows.

• Administrator

I am still gonna name it MicrosoftBlows.

That is one thing I personally cannot stand. Everyone has such a huge disposition about Microsoft, yet they're a really good company.

Examples:
  1. Few years ago when I was running Windows ME, I bought VB.NET 2005. When I bought it the store (Staples) told me it would work fine on my pc. It wouldn't install. I tried to take it back and they made excuse after excuse. I called Microsoft and they asked for a few pieces of information, said to write a small letter for why I was returning it and what store I got the software from. I did so, they sent me a check for the software and the price of shipping it back to them.

2. A friend recently came to me asking for help because his Windows would not activate, saying it had been activated too many times. I told him to call Microsoft. He was reluctant, but finally called. When he came back I asked of his experience, and he told me how it was very quick and painless. They simply asked why he had to activate again and he had told them about how he had just formatted, and has been formatting every two months. Microsoft said "Thank you" and gave him the activation code. He did all of that in under ten minutes.
So, why does Microsoft suck/blow/whatever? :unsure:

I am still gonna name it MicrosoftBlows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is one thing I personally cannot stand. Everyone has such a huge disposition about Microsoft, yet they're a really good company.

1. Examples:

2. Few years ago when I was running Windows ME, I bought VB.NET 2005. When I bought it the store (Staples) told me it would work fine on my pc. It wouldn't install. I tried to take it back and they made excuse after excuse. I called Microsoft and they asked for a few pieces of information, said to write a small letter for why I was returning it and what store I got the software from. I did so, they sent me a check for the software and the price of shipping it back to them.

3. A friend recently came to me asking for help because his Windows would not activate, saying it had been activated too many times. I told him to call Microsoft. He was reluctant, but finally called. When he came back I asked of his experience, and he told me how it was very quick and painless. They simply asked why he had to activate again and he had told them about how he had just formatted, and has been formatting every two months. Microsoft said "Thank you" and gave him the activation code. He did all of that in under ten minutes.
So, why does Microsoft suck/blow/whatever? :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am just p***ed cause I can't get it to work. Relax.

• Administrator

I am just p***ed cause I can't get it to work. Relax.

Aw, I am calm (aside from the killer headache right now). ^^'

You are on a wireless router right? (I should sue my college, I coulda used my networking class now.)

If the truth be known, if it wasn't for microsoft, we possibly could not be here now interacting with each other.

Although something else would have happened, it would not have made it as easy to newcomers as it is now.

OK here is the breakdown.

Computer#1 in my bedroom.

Brand New

Windows XP Media Center (Could be my problem?)

Hooked to 2Wire Modem.

Installed with Yahoo DSL software that came with it.

Computer#2 in my living room.

Old

Windows XP

Wireless 2Wire USB Adapter.

Installed with Yahoo DSL Software too.

They are both XP so it shouldnt matter. Now go to Control Panel network connections. Now on the left hand side click on, Set Up a home or office Network. Go through those options and click ok at the end or w.e it askes. Then on the other computer, make it connect to the same work group as the network you have just setup. You then need to make sure you have file and printer sharing enable. Now check Network Places.

These computers must be both connected to the same router/HUB. As well has have corresponding IP's such as

Computer 1 - 192.168.1.100

and Computer 2 - 192.168.1.101

:unsure: