Services Resetting at reboot.

krit86lr

Hey all! :P

My computer is being funky, and it's clean so I'm out of ideas. When you go to sercvices.msc you can configure your services to start any way that you want, right? Well...my computer changed it's mind about that recently. The settings are changing at reboot.

Example: I set "Remote Registry" to disabled. I reboot, and it is set to "Automatic" and it is started.

It's really annoying, and is making me nervous. I am the Administrator of the computer. Andy ideas?

Thanks! ;)

K

Hey all!  ;)

My computer is being funky, and it's clean so I'm out of ideas.  When you go to sercvices.msc you can configure your services to start any way that you want, right?  Well...my computer changed it's mind about that recently.  The settings are changing at reboot.

Example: I set "Remote Registry" to disabled.  I reboot, and it is set to "Automatic" and it is started.

It's really annoying, and is making me nervous.  I am the Administrator of the computer.  Andy ideas?

Thanks!  ;)

K

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Andy ideas"

Freudian slip? :P

Hey all!  ;)

My computer is being funky, and it's clean so I'm out of ideas.  When you go to sercvices.msc you can configure your services to start any way that you want, right?  Well...my computer changed it's mind about that recently.  The settings are changing at reboot.

Example: I set "Remote Registry" to disabled.  I reboot, and it is set to "Automatic" and it is started.

It's really annoying, and is making me nervous.  I am the Administrator of the computer.  Andy ideas?

Thanks!  ;)

K

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Andy ideas"

Freudian slip? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

;) I have been having typing problems all day. I keep typing ideals instead of ideas too. Need more sleep probably.

Help Me! Why are my services changing? :P

Are you having any issues writing to your registry?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure what you mean. I can edit things. I don't receive an access denied or anything like that.

I couldn't get a registry tweak from kellys-corner to work, but I didn't investigate as to why it didn't work. I'll check now.

Thanks!! :P

• Administrator

I'm not sure what you mean. I can edit things. I don't receive an access denied or anything like that.

I couldn't get a registry tweak from kellys-corner to work, but I didn't investigate as to why it didn't work. I'll check now.

Thanks!! :P

The reason I ask if because the services are controlled via the registry. If you're having any registry issues (even a guard, etc. like Windows Defender, WinPatrol *gag*, and so on) will try to protect changes to the registry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks!! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reason I ask if because the services are controlled via the registry. If you're having any registry issues (even a guard, etc. like Windows Defender, WinPatrol *gag*, and so on) will try to protect changes to the registry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooooooo. So do my permissions need to be adjusted again, or policies?

kellys-corner tweak didn't work because I don't have the keys, that it was trying to change.

Do you have this key? HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer - the tweak is to change the dword for NoSaveSettings so that your settings are saved.

Must be those darn grimlins. :P

One more question Tarun. You ask if I'm having registry issues. Can you give me some examples? How would I know if I'm having registry issues? Does this whole services thing imply that I am having registry issues?

Is there some sort of test that I can do?

computer gremlins

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You were right! ;)

Windows Defender is the gremlin. I'm just going to uninstall it. Should I turn tea timer back on if I'm going to uninstall WD?

My computer is going to feel naked without it! :P

I'm kind of sad because I like WD despite all of it's quirks.

I don't know. Maybe I'll just disable it anytime I want to make big changes. I'll think about it. ;)

Archived