Wireless Troubles

Lyrael

Right, we've had a wireless network set up here for years now, everything works fine. Two laptops and a desktop all connected, but then a week or so ago my desktop went so crazy I had to re-install XP on it, this f***ed up my drivers and stuff so I had to re-install my wireless card...and now it connects to the network fine, but can't access the internet. I tried re-booting the computer & the router, uninstalling/reinstalling both, ipconfig/release then /renew. Nothing seems to work :\

Any suggestions? Please...before I go crazy, I HATE having to use the **** laptops -_-

• Administrator

Lyrael, does the wireless router have encryption setup on it, and if so, did you verify that you put in the WEP/WPA/whatever key?

Another thing is that most router vendors (such as Linksys, etc) have 24/7 tech support and will try their hardest to help you make it work, especially when other systems are working fine on wireless.

Right, we've had a wireless network set up here for years now, everything works fine. Two laptops and a desktop all connected, but then a week or so ago my desktop went so crazy I had to re-install XP on it, this f***ed up my drivers and stuff so I had to re-install my wireless card...and now it connects to the network fine, but can't access the internet. I tried re-booting the computer & the router, uninstalling/reinstalling both, ipconfig/release then /renew. Nothing seems to work :\

Any suggestions? Please...before I go crazy, I HATE having to use the **** laptops -_-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not too good with networking problems, but I do have a suggestion.

Try accessing the web with several different browsers, such as Internet Explorer and Firefox. It's possible that Firefox connects and IE doesn't, or visa versa. Sometimes IE just "breaks" and starts to give you the "Page not found" error whenever you try to visit any page. This could happen to Firefox too, although I've had more trouble with IE than FF.

Also, just out of curiousity, what company/model is your wireless modem? I have a Netgear, and with mine, your have to use the software it came with to connect to the Internet, otherwise, Windows won't correctly detect it. If that is the case, make sure you have both the drivers and the software on your computer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you tried a winsock fix? And of course double check the router passwords on the wireless machines.

no encryption on the router, no security settings blocking it, no router passwords.

and I know sometimes IE and firefox are just being stupid...but when I can't even ping google, I'm pretty sure there's no internet connection going on at all here.

It's a Belkin wireless card, Belkin router too...and yeah you have to use the Belkin utility to connect, but it's connecting fine with that, the way it has been doing for months...just now I have no internet :\

and Joshy hun, I've had BAD experience with calling tech support. Just don't go there. It's not gonna happen.

It's a long shot that both machines are experiencing winsock errors at the same time, but it did happen to someone on another forum about a week ago.

ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew didn't work for him. After applying a winsock fix everything worked fine again. It's easy so it's worth giving it a shot.

What a pain, huh?