HTML extensions want to download

everythime i open IE i get this popup for a temp file to download and i cant get rid of it. becouse of this IE never opens up properly. what ever website i make defualt will be the name of the temp file. i salo get the same thing when i open Outlook but it is a different file name. i cleaned out all temp folders and everything else that may be associated with it. i did a hjt log but it looks fine to me. any help will be welcomed.

111s383.jpg

G'day MP,

have you recently done an MS update?

I updated my secondary PC the other day (34 of the bloody things) which took over half an hour to download and install.

Since the update, IE is VERY slow in loading (can take over 2 minutes and also hangs occasionally) and have now installed O9, which works like a dream without making any other setting changes.

Not sure if the update was the problem but I have a sneaking suspision that it was :ninja:

Cheers :P

Ermmm, only just now had the image load. Are you sure it's an IE problem and not a FF one? Reason I ask is because the image displays the download as being related to FF by your FF internet icon.... just a stab in the dark here.

Edited by SenutyEnool

ha, funny thing you mentioned the updates..thats when it all started. after i hit cancel on the download i get a blank page on IE, same thing with Outlook of course.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you know, i get that popup when i open IE, i do have FF set as my default browser.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, may want to go back and try to finish the download as it may well have stuffed up some IE settings in the background. Once again this is a stab in the dark for a solution as I haven't run across this problem.

Do you get the same with FF? If not, then it's a sure bet your IE setup is screwed :P

no problems with FF so im sure that it's a IE problem. i even set everything back to default with IE to no avail.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way I'd work this is to do 2 things, remove IE and Outlook and reload both with default settings, then go and grab the updates and let them install fully.

Not sure if this would work, but it might be worth a shot.

Could also wait a bit and see if anyone else has had this problem and have found a fix for it.

oohhh, i'd rather wait and see if anyone else has any input before i do that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's probably the best idea as my solution is really a last resort to get it all running again.

Let us know how it pans out of if you do come across a solution.

• Administrator

It almost seems like your browser isn't catching the file associations. Have you tried Dial-a-fix to check for any problems, or used it to reinstall IE? If not, give that a shot.

i used DAF but i didnt use it to reinstall IE..i'll give it a shot.

EDIT: Problem fixed after i downloaded and ran the latest version of DAF. i had been using version 0.57. i also uninstalled eTrust and downloaded Avast since i like how it performes on my parents computer.