autorun disabled

I'm hoping someone can help as quick as possible! My husband has to install some new software for his blood glucose meter but the cd will not run automatically. (nor will any others ) We have tried doing seup.exe but the help desk of the meter says it must be done by autorun.

I have looked on Microsoft and have looked in the registry - a scary place.

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\System\CurrentControlSet\Services|CDRom

its has REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)

Some help would be much appreciated

G'day,

I've got the same problem, however, I *don't* have the 'My Computer' shortcut on my desktop, heck for that matter I've only got one and that's the 'Recycle Bin' ;)

If interested, here's a snapshot --> Minimalistic Desktop

So, how do I therefore make the changes?

Oh, by the way, is there a shortcut that should be made to TweakUI? Or is it context sensitive?

Cheers :lol:

G'day,

thanks much again for the help, now that I found where TweakUI put itself :lol: I've been able to restore the 'autorun' function.

Heheh, now that I've found TweakUI, my 'Minimalistic Desktop' now doesn't even have the 'Recycle Bin' shortcut. :zzz:

As for the icon count, before I got myself ObjectDock, I had over 45 icons, and trying to find the one I was after was getting rather frustrating. So, to ObjectDock, they get a big :P from me.

Cheers ;)

Thanks for the reply CaPMan. I have downloaded and done as you said. However my discs still won't run, perhaps it's more serious?

In drive F can hear the disc run but it doesn't come up on screen, and on the dvd rom drive it doesn't run at all.

I can put a movie dvd in, browse to power dvd,press play and it will. However it will not do this in the dvd rom drive only the other one, in fact the rom drive came up with error code 8004027a.

Thought I would play around with a CD that should autorun and found out I have the same problem, mine don't autorun.

Another way, albeit a bit long winded, is:

Double click My Computer,

Right click the drive that has the CD in,

Click Explore,

You will then see a text file called autorun.inf (see image),

folder2xa.jpg

Open the text file, and it will tell you which file to double click to start the program the way autorun would have started it, (quite often an .exe file).

autorun2ud.jpg

So in this example I have to double click DCAM_PC.exe.

I know this is not a solution as such, but it will allow you to use the software for your husbands blood glucose meter.

Thanks for your efforts CaPman. In vain I think. We are now starting to have a problem with accepting new hardware ( an ifrared detector for the meter )

Today we are going back to Staples where we got this Medion about 10 months ago to see what they say.

You don't think autorun doesn't work because we have PREFETCH checked in ccleaner?!!

PS: Everyone should disable the Prefetch checkmark in CCleaner. Whoever said deleting the prefetch pool was a good idea is a moron.

Also, for others who are having Autorun problems, check Microsoft's awesome Autorun Repair wizard. It works very well, especially for times when Autorun is not simply turned off, but is actually broken.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Also, for others who are having Autorun problems, check Microsoft's awesome Autorun Repair wizard.  It works very well, especially for times when Autorun is not simply turned off, but is actually broken.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is an awesome fix, took just seconds to fix the problem.

Any chances of it appearing in DAF?

AutoFix_2005_10_24_19_24_37.txtAutoFix_2005_10_24_19_20_12.txtHave got my computer back from Stapels but they only told Medion to fix one drive despite the faults being put in writing. Even the new G drive will not autorun. Rang Medion and they are going to send a tech to the house (amazing if it happens) to fit the F drive as well.

Downloaded DJ's microsoft autorun repair. Still no luck. Here are the logs it made, a tech might understand them.

Looks like a reinstall of windows may be the only way out.

Autorun FIXED!! ;);)

Did a lot of looking round on the net and made the decision to uninstall nero 6 using the nero general clean tool.

Straight after uninstall used DJ Lizards's microsoft autorun repair. Worked ( thanks DJ )

Strange thing is the nero tool also uninstalled the drivers for DVD43.