Second third-party fix out for Windows bug

For the second time in as many weeks a group of security professionals has released a third-party fix for a Windows flaw that is actively being used in cyberattacks.

The group, calling itself the Zeroday Emergency Response Team, or ZERT, created the patch so Windows users can protect their PCs while Microsoft works on an official update. People have a choice of third-party fixes. Security company Determina on Friday released a patch it authored for the same flaw.

The flaw affects Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, and could be exploited via the Internet Explorer Web browser through a component called WebViewFolderIcon, Microsoft said in a security advisory issued Thursday. Windows Shell is the part of the operating system that presents the user interface.

Link: -> News.com

Cheers from your intrepid webreporter book.gif

Added to frontpage.  I gotta teach you how, Senuty.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, yeah, I know. :D

As I've explained before, I do most of my 'reporting' whilst at work and sitting behind this firewall, it's usually slower than dial-up and drops out occasionally, making it a right royal pain in the posterior to set it up using the template. Lot quicker for me to just copy and paste.

But I will get around to making a template that I can use to copy and paste straight to, just need to find the inclination to do so...... oh, and some spare time would be handy too :D

Cheers :D

Hmmmmmmmm, I just did some more thunking on this (man did that hurt :D ) and seeing I'm one of the 'reporters', that would make YOU (Tarun) the editor and therefore your job to lay out the 'print' so to speak........

Alright, alright, stop swearing, I can hear ya from here :D I'll get on with it.

Seriously though, what criteria is there for posting in the news section. There's a heck of a lot stuff out there and I'm just not overly sure what you would deem news worthy.

A lot of the stuff I read would interest some people, but not the majority and therefore may not be 'frontpage' news, but still of interest, as stated, to some.

The above is actually the main factor why I'm not throwing things straight onto the front page as I'm not overly sure whether it makes the cut or not and hence put a plethora (my big word for the day) of posts in the forum letting the 'editor' make the final choice.

Thoughts?

A lot of the stuff I read would interest some people, but not the majority and therefore may not be 'frontpage' news, but still of interest, as stated, to some.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my opinion, if it interests you, then post about it. Like you say, it may not be of interest to some but it will be to others, which could be a deciding factor regarding whether new people join here or not. A diverse range of news could be just the ticket to get others to join and become active.

You can't please all of the people some of the time, just as you can't please some of the people all of the time.

• Administrator

Pretty much my news team just reports their finds on the frontpage. It could be about some software, hardware, security news, Windows updates, whatever. Basically, tech news. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my opinion, if it interests you, then post about it. Like you say, it may not be of interest to some but it will be to others, which could be a deciding factor regarding whether new people join here or not. A diverse range of news could be just the ticket to get others to join and become active.

You can't please all of the people some of the time, just as you can't please some of the people all of the time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pretty much my news team just reports their finds on the frontpage.  It could be about some software, hardware, security news, Windows updates, whatever.  Basically, tech news.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anything - the more updates the better :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dammit, I just KNEW you were going to say that and here I thought I had an easy out....... :D

Oh well, guess I'll have to set up a template to cover the shortfalls with this bloody firewall.