PowerArchiver 2007

Its a personal thing I suppose. But for me, I want all the functionality that I can get. particularly:

Superior ZIP Support

ZIP Support PowerArchiver offers superior ZIP format support compared to other archivers. Here are the highlights:

* Support for unlimited file size and unlimited number of files in ZIP archives

* Support for advanced Deflate64 method providing higher compression ratios

* ZIP AES support (both PkZip 5.1 and WZ 9.0 standards supported)

* Fast and strong compression and decompression

* Multiple disk spanning, with support for unlimited span sizes

Its a personal thing I suppose. But for me, I want all the functionality that I can get. particularly:

Superior ZIP Support

ZIP Support PowerArchiver offers superior ZIP format support compared to other archivers. Here are the highlights:

* Support for unlimited file size and unlimited number of files in ZIP archives

* Support for advanced Deflate64 method providing higher compression ratios

* ZIP AES support (both PkZip 5.1 and WZ 9.0 standards supported)

* Fast and strong compression and decompression

* Multiple disk spanning, with support for unlimited span sizes

All functionality you can get?

So then you welcome features such as Tetris and a BMI calculator in the file archiver too?

Not all features are good. It can become feature-creep and bloated. Good is to have necessary and useful features.

As good old Albert Einstein once said "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Superior ZIP Support" is not really a feature, its just some proclaimed shizzle by the PR department.

Same goes for phrases like "Fast and strong compression and decompression", fast is relative.

powerarchiver is great becoz future upgrades are free... unlike winzip...

Then 7-Zip is double great, because its free, and the upgrades are free too, and everything about it is free. You even get the source for free.

To each his own. But there ZIP compression is better than most others, and it can open up and compress in a host of different formats. 7-Zip can't match this list; http://www.powerarchiver.com/features/list.php

7-Zip can open a host of different formats too. :happybday:

But, yes I think that PowerArchiver 2007, might be able to open in a couple of more formats in than 7-Zip, but I don't mind, because 7-Zip opens pretty much any file formats that I come across.

It's each to his own, some like this, some like that. Personally I am glad that 7-Zip don't have all those features mentioned in the PowerArchiver 2007 feature list.

PowerArchiver has "Internal viewer that supports TXT, RTF, GIF, PNG, BMP, ICO, TIFF, GFI, SGI, EMF, WMF, PPM, Adobe Photoshop, Autodesk, Truevision, ZSoft Paintbrush, Kodak Photo-CD, JASC PaintShop Pro, and Dr. Halo file formats", I am glad 7-Zip don't have that. If I wanted an image viewer, I would get a real one.