Having a problem with DAF

agent.dave

I work at the Geek Squad in Best Buy and first off wanted to thank you for letting us use your software. I am new to it and had some trouble after I used it. I started with repair permissions, then flush softwaredistributions, and then hit the double check for everyhing. After the computer rebooted it came up and said that there was an error in the RPC and the the system had to shut down. So I went into the services and checked for RPC and one was set to manual and one was automatic. I didn't change anything. Any ideas? I'm running v.0.60.0.24.

• Administrator

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is a protocol that a program can use to request a service from a program located on another computer in a network. RPC helps with interoperability because the program using RPC does not have to understand the network protocols that are supporting communication. In RPC, the requesting program is the client and the service-providing program is the server.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I just re-read this thread (I'm re-reading ALL of the threads in here for things I've missed). I just realized what you're asking. The RPC service is critical to Windows, so if anything crashes it, the system knows it can't go on, so it schedules a restart.

Usually the problem is in COM+, and there's only two solutions that I know of: a full reinstall of Windows (because the registry is damaged), or a repair install of Windows (to repair the COM+ subsystem).

I hope that helps anyone else who stumbles upon this thread.

Archived