Fresh 2000 format microsoft update problem

corjello

ok, so i just reformated this hardrive, and put a fresh copy of Windows 2000 Professional on. (is there a diff between pro and non?). The first thing i did was run it throught windows update about 6 times. Now that ive updated everthing i could, i get this one update for Outlook express thats a "critcal" that wont go away. Everysingle time ive run the winows update it marks it as if i havent installed it and prompts me that i should install it right away. My automatic update is doing it to me also. The thing is, when it shows the details for the file size, it lists it as 0, zero, nothing. But it wont go away. Any help on why its messed up? Im kinda confused cause this is a brand new install. Ive got a pic of it

Edit: just noticed that auto updates show it has a size while me doing windows update says it doesnt...

forlunarsoft5jl.th.jpg

)corjello(

Have you tried rebooting?

Maybe even reboot, run CCleaner (Issues as well), then check for updates.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes i have. and the thing is, i dont need express on the comp. I think im going to uninstall it...

while we are talking about my new computers problems... evertime i delete something out of the recycle bin, the tower emits a single short beep. whats it mean? ive heard before it can be related to ram issues and things like that, can anyone confirm this? Fyi, all it is is a old comp with a brand new hardrive...

)corjello(

Do you have any sound schemes enabled?

Or more precisely, does emptying the recycle bin have a sound set?

If not, and it is set to none, that could be the reason, try setting a sound for emptying the recycle bin then see what happens.

The reason for this is, having no sound set for emptying the recycle bin results in the mobo speaker emitting a sound instead.

Edited:

Although I could be wrong about this.

Do you have any sound schemes enabled?

Or more precisely, does emptying the recycle bin have a sound set?

If not, and it is set to none, that could be the reason, try setting a sound for emptying the recycle bin then see what happens.

The reason for this is, having no sound set for emptying the recycle bin results in the mobo speaker emitting a sound instead.

Edited:

Although I could be wrong about this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm, well i have no sound scheme set up right now so that could be the deal, and i have no speakers to test it with sound so.... i guess that is it..

what about the pro question and now guess what? i went in and uninstalled outlook express and it is still saying i need the update... oh well. ill just disable auto updates

)corjello(

I always thought there was only one version of Win2000.

I will think a bit more about the beep.

Maybe the others might be able to help in the meantime, because it is late for me and I have to go, I will check back tomorrow though.

• 2 months later...

Archived