DLL registration with WMI/WBEM

sunbirdbudz

Hi, DjL;

I know that this log does not say much, but during a registration process of cim_ _ _ .dll. this big ugly Access Violation occurred during reset WMI/WBEM process in Tools. The program ran fine thru the whole thing..but then I got into the "TOOLS". Maybe I should have left well enough alone? I really want my REGISTRY cleaned up and out..badly! I thought that might do it for me. [?]

I ran a free scan of REG SCAN before I found your program, and it told me I had 953 empty registry entries and a few other things totaling 1500 and something issues to be fixed. I never trust a free scan that says there's lots of stuff wrong just so you will purchase the program...that sucks..right?

I came across your program at the COMODO site under " Collection of Free and Useful Programs ". I do knnow I have corrupted COM stiff, as that box that opens is always full of errors.

I haVE ZERO SPYWARE ON THIS MACHINE. In addition to the scanners I have instlled, I go to SECUNIA and do the SOFTWARE INSPECTOR, to keep my vers up to date.

I AM RUNNING: a fully updated ver of WIN XP SP 2, with:

Zone Alarm Free

Avast Free - and it stops me from access the web

SuperAntiSpywarePro[paid for ver]

Advanced WindowsCareV2 by IOBit

Lavasoft AdAware 2007/AdWatch

Windows Defender

Eulaizer

IZArc

IE 7 w/ updates

GreenBrowser

Firefox 2.0.0.6

w/ NoScript, AdBlockPlus,Macafee Site Advisor [just removed it], w/plug-ins for Flash,Shockwave,QT,Real,blah, blah

Thunderbird -Latest Stable Build

AbiWord - newest download this week

WinAmp Free - got it this week

Irfanview

FLV Player

FVL Grabber

We have been having a lot of thunderstorms in Charleston,SC also. It was 110 degrees out my window today - in the shade!!!! Hot, I could have fried an egg on the pqvement..and town looked like a ghost town. I live downtown and it;s always busy - even into the night and beyond. Love living in the city.

That's all I can say now, but if you wand/need more info- just holler.

Notes about this log:

1) "->" denotes an external command being executed, and "-> (number)" indicates

the return code from the previous command

2) Not all external command return codes are accurate, or useful

3) Sometimes commands return 0 (no error) even when they fail or crash

4) If an error occurs while registering an object, please send an email to:

dial-a-fix@DjLizard.net and include a copy of this log

DAF version: v0.60.0.24

--- System info ---

IE version: 7.0.5730.11

MPC: 76477-OEM

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+ (~2200MHz)

CPU: CPU is 64-bit or has 64-bit extensions

BIOS: 9/19/2006

Memory (approx): 446MB

Uptime: 2 hour(s)

Current directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24\Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24

---

8/7/2007 6:54:09 AM -- Dial-a-fix : [v0.60.0.24] -- started

6:54:09 AM | Policy scan started

6:54:09 AM | Policy scan ended - no restrictive policies were found

• 3 months later...

I'm having similar problem too. Recently there was some problem with my system so I tried to repair it using my XP CD. After the repair operation was perform, I tried to do window update. I was able to download the updates, but can't install them. I search the error code at MS site and it suggest to register several file which resolve the issue. I then try to uninstall/install few programs but fail. A quick look at my service I notice Help and Support, Windows Installer, Windows Management Instrumentation. Reinstalling Windows Installer didn't add itself to the Service. DAF was able to add Windows Installer to the Service but after reboot it disappear from Service. After several test I discover that the problem was cause by my firewall driver. I uninstall my firewall, I went to this site provide by DAF to resolve WMI issue and use DAF to resolve Help and Support & Windows Installer issue. Everything seen back to normal now but I'm still unable to reset WMI/WBEM using DAF. After getting the Access Violation error, DAF seen to get hung at registering \wbem\cimwin32.dll Here is the error:

cb9234bfd4ca.jpg

Notes about this log:

1) "->" denotes an external command being executed, and "-> (number)" indicates

the return code from the previous command

2) Not all external command return codes are accurate, or useful

3) Sometimes commands return 0 (no error) even when they fail or crash

4) If an error occurs while registering an object, please send an email to:

dial-a-fix@DjLizard.net and include a copy of this log

DAF version: v0.60.0.24

--- System info ---

IE version: 7.0.5730.13

MPC: 76477-OEM

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (~2990MHz)

CPU: CPU is 64-bit or has 64-bit extensions

BIOS: 7/7/2006

Memory (approx): 1022MB

Uptime: 0 hour(s) 

Current directory: C:\Software\win fix\Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24

---

11/11/2007 3:42:02 PM -- Dial-a-fix : [v0.60.0.24] - [Safe Mode] -- started

3:42:02 PM | Policy scan started

3:42:02 PM | Policy scan ended - no restrictive policies were found

3:42:12 PM | Policy scan started

3:42:12 PM | Policy scan ended - no restrictive policies were found

3:42:49 PM | --- Reset WMI/WBEM ---

3:42:49 PM | Registered: D:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\cimwin32.dll

Consider trying the following steps instead (modify the paths as necessary if C: isn't your systemdrive):

1. Log in as a local administrator on the machine.

2. If possible, configure antivirus so it does not scan any of the files of subfolders of "%windir%\system32\wbem\repository".

3. Execute the following batch file to clear out the existing repository and autorecovery cache"

%systemdrive%

cd %windir%\system32\wbem

sc config winmgmt start= disabled

net stop winmgmt /y

if exist repository.old rmdir /s/q repository.old

rename repository repository.old

if exist autorecover.old rmdir /s/q autorecover.old

rename autorecover autorecover.old

md autorecover
4. Export the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM" to a REG file for backup (i.e. WBEM_org.REG). Then Import the following REG file to set the WBEM logging level to verbose, increase the maximum log size to 5 MB, and clear out the autorecovery list:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\CIMOM]

"Logging"="2"

"Log File Max Size"="5000000"

"Autorecover MOFs"=hex(7):00,00

"Autorecover MOFs timestamp"=""
5. Execute the following batch file to rebuild the repository and autorecovery list. The duplicate lines are intentional. This batch file can take several minutes to complete:
%systemdrive%

sc config winmgmt start= auto

for /f %%s in ('dir /b *.mof *.mfl') do mofcomp %%s

WINMGMT.EXE /REGSERVER

WINMGMT.EXE /CLEARADAP

WINMGMT.EXE /RESYNCPERF
6. Wait approx 15 minutes after running the above batch file to allow the performance counter resynchronization to complete. Then run WMIDIAG (cscript wmidiag.vbs) to establish a baseline report. The latest public version of WMIDIAG can be obtained from the following URL: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en 7. Execute the following batch file to clear out the WBEM logs:
%systemdrive%

cd %windir%\system32\wbem\logs

del /Q *.*

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the exact problem lunar has. I tried to run Reset WMI/WBEM, and got the same "Access violation..." box.

I couldn't carry out the suggested fix; it's way out of my league. Are there any other possibilities ? Thanks.

I am having the exact problem lunar has. I tried to run Reset WMI/WBEM, and got the same "Access violation..." box.

I couldn't carry out the suggested fix; it's way out of my league. Are there any other possibilities ? Thanks.

Well, you're talking about a serious problem that requires a bit of skill to fix. What about the instructions are difficult? Perhaps I can help you further.

cluberti, thanks for your attention. I've never run a batch file, I don't have any idea how it's done. I ran WMI Dialog, it's clear something is wrong from the log, but I'm not able to make any sense of the report. I just plain don't know enough.

As I run into problems, I try to educate myself. If you can help that process, that would be great. I'm upgrading the computer, and reinstalling Windows very soon, but I wanted to see if I could figure it out first.

Thanks again.

cluberti, thanks for your attention. I've never run a batch file, I don't have any idea how it's done. I ran WMI Dialog, it's clear something is wrong from the log, but I'm not able to make any sense of the report. I just plain don't know enough.

As I run into problems, I try to educate myself. If you can help that process, that would be great. I'm upgrading the computer, and reinstalling Windows very soon, but I wanted to see if I could figure it out first.

Thanks again.

OK, no problem. Running a batch file is actually pretty easy - for example, create a new .txt file on your desktop, and I'll use step 3 as an example. It states:

3. Execute the following batch file to clear out the existing repository and autorecovery cache"

%systemdrive%

sc config winmgmt start= disabled

net stop winmgmt /y

if exist repository.old rmdir /s/q repository.old

rename repository repository.old

if exist autorecover.old rmdir /s/q autorecover.old

rename autorecover autorecover.old

md autorecover

Simply copy the text in the "batch" file, from the %systemdrive% line to the "md autorecover" line and then paste it into your new .txt file. Then, rename the .txt file to a .cmd file, and when you double-click the new .cmd batch file, it will run and do whatever you put inside to do.

It's the same with the .reg file I need you to create in step 4 - create a new .txt file on the desktop, copy in the text from step 4 for the "reg" file, then rename the .txt file to .reg and double-click - it'll import the registry data you put in it.

Hopefully that makes sense.

OK, no problem. Running a batch file is actually pretty easy - for example, create a new .txt file on your desktop, and I'll use step 3 as an example. It states:

Now I have to expose my ignorance. If I knew how to create a .txt file on my desktop, I believe I could complete steps 3 & 4 if it's just copy & paste, rename & double click. (But, does step 4 include Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 as it almost appears to do?) Does step 5 require renaming the .txt file?

WMIDIAG produces a report. Do I do something with it? I looked at one I did & wasn't able to figure out much beyond the fact that files were missing and/or misdirected.

Is step 7 the same, that is .txt file, copy & paste, rename (to what?)?

I can follow instructions, but I don't know the relationship of this to the "Access violation..." when I tried to run Reset WMI/WBEM. DAF stopped immediately,by the way.

The last time I ran DAF, I did sfc/scannow, and it asked for Windows XP Pro when I have XP Home. This was after it purged the cache. I was stuck, but eventually I found a Microsoft web page that indicated that they had made an error, and I had to go into the system files and change Pro to Home in two places. I waited until now to fix WMI in case I ran into a similar situation, but wouldn't be as lucky this time in solving it. Because I'm reinstalling XP anyway, I can afford to break the computer or get stuck completely, so this is a great opportunity to learn something. So far, I've had to create a path for a .dll, which is all new, and now this, more new horizons. I've gone through all the steps in DAF, run into problems, found a solution, and am now at the last one. It's a scary program to run when you don't know what you're doing, but I'm learning useful things.

I hope you can help me with your instructions; it looks just about doable after all.

Thanks again to you and all the others who take the time to help out.

JF

Right click your Desktop and hover New > New Text Document

Thanks, Tarun, I should have figured that out myself.

Do I rename the step 7 .txt file to something else?

I finally figured out that this performs the Reset WMI/WBEM function. I'm still wondering what the "Access violation..."

box is all about. Does anybody know why it appears, and can anything be done to rectify the situation.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Archived