AutoPatcher receives a takedown notice.

Tarun

• Administrator

Open discussion on the AutoPatcher project here.

I for one used this frequently both at work and at home. It was also a valuable asset for when I had to travel to a friend's house and fix their computers.

I know that jcarle's Windows Update Downloader is available, though AutoPatcher was a great automation tool to make the updating process simple and efficient. The biggest issue I could ever see with it was that it had WGA as an optional component (not the WGA Notifications component) which could allow for people pirating the Windows software to circumvent WGA and update their machines.

Update: After talking with a member of the Microsoft staff, we now know why the project received the takedown notice. It can be viewed here: Link Down - can be replaced upon request.

Update 2: Someone submitted the story onto Digg, so feel free to Digg It!

• Administrator

Yeah it is rather harsh, but considering they've gotten away with it for this long is amazing.

DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES.

Through its network of Web properties, Microsoft provides you with access to a variety of resources, including developer tools, download areas, communication forums and product information (collectively "Services"). The Services, including any updates, enhancements, new features, and/or the addition of any new Web properties, are subject to the TOU.

PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE LIMITATION.

Unless otherwise specified, the Services are for your personal and non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products or services obtained from the Services.

NOTICE SPECIFIC TO SOFTWARE AVAILABLE ON THIS WEB SITE.

Any software that is made available to download from the Services ("Software") is the copyrighted work of Microsoft and/or its suppliers. Use of the Software is governed by the terms of the end user license agreement, if any, which accompanies or is included with the Software ("License Agreement"). An end user will be unable to install any Software that is accompanied by or includes a License Agreement, unless he or she first agrees to the License Agreement terms.

The Software is made available for download solely for use by end users according to the License Agreement. Any reproduction or redistribution of the Software not in accordance with the License Agreement is expressly prohibited by law, and may result in severe civil and criminal penalties. Violators will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible.

WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, COPYING OR REPRODUCTION OF THE SOFTWARE TO ANY OTHER SERVER OR LOCATION FOR FURTHER REPRODUCTION OR REDISTRIBUTION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED, UNLESS SUCH REPRODUCTION OR REDISTRIBUTION IS EXPRESSLY PERMITTED BY THE LICENSE AGREEMENT ACCOMPANYING SUCH SOFTWARE.

It makes it pretty obvious why they got taken down. I wonder if they will get into further trouble since they were selling CDs/DVDs with AutoPatcher on them.

yeap this sucks, i love autopatcher. I have 5 computers with XP on them and having to download and install using IE is stupid.

autopatcher was taking a ~3 hour process down to about 35 minutes. (from clean install of SP2).

I'm shocked as well that Microsoft allowed autopatcher for this long... but as Tarun mentioned, with the sale of the CD's with Microsoft property on them they would be taken down sooner or later in my opinion.