Ubuntu

Eldmannen

xmas.gif

I am running Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon).

It's pretty nice, it comes with lots of useful software. I hear there are over 20.000 packages in the software repository.

It comes with all the usual, web browser, e-mail client, instant messenger client, media player, calculator, games, etc.

Also comes with a compiler, dictionary, and a nifty note-taking application.

The calendar integrates with Evolution Mail, so you can make appointments in the calendar.

The SkyRocket screensaver is sweet, its fireworks. It also comes with a complete office suite (OpenOffice).

I liked that it comes with a text editor that supports syntax highlighting, and software for viewing PDF documents and SVG images.

I use Compiz and enable the desktop visual effects, and its really cool with wobbly windows, virtual desktops, desktop-on-a-cube with relections and stuff, and fancy plugins such as waterdrops.

Installing software from the software repository via the package manager is a breeze, you just pick what you want, and it downloads and installs it.

I am looking forward to Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) which will be a LTS (Long Term Support) release scheduled for release at April 24, 2008.