Will there ever be a new version of Dial-A-Fix?

Guest GodzFire

Guest GodzFire

Just wanted to say what a great job you've done with Dial-A-Fix, and what an incredible resource it is for troubleshooting in my IT job.

I am wondering though; it's been over 1.5 years or so since the last release. Does this mean there will be no further updates to DAF? I sure hope the answer is just the opposite!

• Administrator
DjLizard said:
My wiki is being taken over by Lunarsoft.net, where it will finally get updated, but I'm not sure what to do with Dial-a-fix just yet. If I find the time and desire, I might update it, but that's not likely to happen very soon (if at all). I work about 60 hours a week now. Hopefully I can find some trustworthy developers to pass on the "legacy" of Dial-a-fix.

Thing is, with open source, all it takes is for someone to get there hands on the current 'product' and change more than 30% of it (if memory serves correct - that's here in Aus), rename it, patent it and voila, it's suddenly a commercial product.

Yeah, it probably would have to be someone with low scruples and sense of 'fair play', but those type of people are out there.

It wouldn't suprise if someone did this in the not so distant future.

Cheers :)

Thing is, with open source, all it takes is for someone to get there hands on the current 'product' and change more than 30% of it (if memory serves correct - that's here in Aus), rename it, patent it and voila, it's suddenly a commercial product.

Yeah, it probably would have to be someone with low scruples and sense of 'fair play', but those type of people are out there.

It wouldn't suprise if someone did this in the not so distant future.

Oh, I don't know about that. But then, I don't live in Australia.

I guess Australia follows the WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization) like most other country in the United Nations.

Patents are for inventions. Copyright are for works.

True that there is no shortage of as****** though.

Ahh, before I forget, phpNuke (or one of the derivatives) was sold and it was to a degree 'open source' before the money factor set in.

Yes, phpNuke was sold. I believe it is still open source though.

The latest version is commercial though, so you have to pay for it, but that is in accordance with open source.

1. I guess Australia follows the WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization) like most other country in the United Nations.

2. Patents are for inventions. Copyright are for works.

3. True that there is no shortage of as****** though.

1. Yes I believe we do abide by it, but haven't really looked into it.

2. Ah. Didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. Learn something new each day.......

3. Amen to that.

Unfortunately open sourcing it could easily destroy it and avert it from it's primary objective.

Doubt so.

Nobody destroyed Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Firefox or OpenOffice.org.

Those are major software packages (and Linux is a fricking kernel). Malware authors and scam artists are not smart enough to be able to use the code in those packages for anything.

It's not that easy to slip a few lines of code in, change a few logos, and pass those things off as malware or fake PC repair software to the masses, but that could happen quite easily to a small-time program like Dial-a-fix. It would be very easy for WinAntiSpyware or others to bundle it in their programs and sully my name into the ground by making it not work, or report fake repairs. Hell, they might even make a lot of money if they straight-up use Dial-a-fix since DAF actually *does something*, where most of their fake PC repair programs are garbage.

Unfortunately open sourcing it could easily destroy it and avert it from it's primary objective.

Doubt so.

Nobody destroyed Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Firefox or OpenOffice.org.

Those are major software packages (and Linux is a fricking kernel). Malware authors and scam artists are not smart enough to be able to use the code in those packages for anything.

It's not that easy to slip a few lines of code in, change a few logos, and pass those things off as malware or fake PC repair software to the masses, but that could happen quite easily to a small-time program like Dial-a-fix. It would be very easy for WinAntiSpyware or others to bundle it in their programs and sully my name into the ground by making it not work, or report fake repairs. Hell, they might even make a lot of money if they straight-up use Dial-a-fix since DAF actually *does something*, where most of their fake PC repair programs are garbage.

Even without the source code, they could make an own software they they name Dial-a-fix and pass it off as malware or fake PC repair software to the masses.

Without the source code, it would be very easy for WinAntiSpyware or others to make an own software they call Dial-a-fix and sully your name into the ground by making it not work, or report fake repairs.

Even without the source code, they could make an own software they they name Dial-a-fix and pass it off as malware or fake PC repair software to the masses.

Without the source code, it would be very easy for WinAntiSpyware or others to make an own software they call Dial-a-fix and sully your name into the ground by making it not work, or report fake repairs.

Sometimes, having access to the code versus not having access is what pushes the decision over the line towards ripping it off.

Sometimes, having access to the code versus not having access is what pushes the decision over the line towards ripping it off.

Probably true.

Sucks not to be able to do a good thing though, because of what others may do.

Especially when they can do something bad regardless of what you do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Simon Zerafa

Hi,

Sorry to bump an older post but is there any news on the future of DAF?

Has someone taken over maintanance and development of the current DAF or has the project been shelved / abandoned?

Kind Regards

Simon Zerafa

Simon's PC Services

Archived