Dial-a-fix problem

tja

I've been advised to use dial-a-fix to "repair/install" IE. When I run dial-a-fix, it asks me to insert the CD Rom for Windows XP Home Edition. I don't have one - the computer came already loaded with it - don't even know if I got a CD of XP with it. Is there another option?

• Administrator

I've been advised to use dial-a-fix to "repair/install" IE. When I run dial-a-fix, it asks me to insert the CD Rom for Windows XP Home Edition. I don't have one - the computer came already loaded with it - don't even know if I got a CD of XP with it. Is there another option?

Welcome to Lunarsoft tja!

Depending on the version of IE you have installed, you could try using the Internet Explorer installer package and use the /x switch to extract it. That way you can point the repair to the directory you created for IE's offline install. :gold:

Thanks...I've been working with someone with Tech Support Guy (because of malware issues) and my IE 7 was obviously corrupted. During the process, she advised me not to download anything. She advised the dial-a-fix download with instructions, but I get to that point where it asks me to install the CD Rom for XP, which I don't have. I probably shouldn't be downloading anything else until advised there. Besides, I don't know how to do what you suggested ("point the repair to the directory you created for IE's offline install). I'm not that computer savvy. I just thought that maybe I could do something with dial-a-fix so that it would go online and use a download for IE 7. Oh well...

• Administrator

I'm sorry, had a very busy day today.

Download the IE7 Setup from the link above.

Rename it from IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe to ie7setup.exe and move it into C:\

While in C:\ create a folder called ie7setup.

Go to Start > Run and type in cmd and hit enter or click OK.

In the black window that appears type cd C:\ and hit enter.

Next type ie7setup.exe /x and hit enter.

A window will appear asking you where you want to extract it to, click Browse and choose the ie7setup folder you just made.

A window will appear asking you where you want to extract it to, click Browse and choose the ie7setup folder you just made.

OK. I did that. Then I opened dial-a-fix & when it asked me to insert a CD, I clicked "browse" and navigated to that folder (ie7setup). During the browse, the browse box has "open" as the only option. When selected, the only file that shows in ie7setup is a folder named "update". If I highlight and "open", it just ends up a blank screen and a dead end - can't proceed with dial-a-fix.

BTW: I appreciate your help. I am leaving shortly to visit family for the weekend. I won't be able to access my computer for your suggested actions until Sun. evening or Mon. - so, I'm not ignoring and not unappreciative. Thanks again!

OK. I did that. Then I opened dial-a-fix & when it asked me to insert a CD, I clicked "browse" and navigated to that folder (ie7setup). During the browse, the browse box has "open" as the only option. When selected, the only file that shows in ie7setup is a folder named "update". If I highlight and "open", it just ends up a blank screen and a dead end - can't proceed with dial-a-fix.

BTW: I appreciate your help. Oh, I also deleted/shredded the download of IE7 I did and started over to make sure that I followed the instructions you gave above. Same thing happens. HELP!

Archived