XP going into stand-by

mrbobcc

I have a machine running XP Pro 2002 SP2 that started going into stand-by by itself. Stand-by is turned off, and there is no pattern to it or one program running when it does it. I ran XP repair and thought it fixed it but it did not. It got so madding I formated drive C and did a full clean reinstall. Drive D & E were not touched. The new install did not fix it and it is doing the same thing. Anybody ran into this before?

Make sure you have all the updates (SP3). Also make sure you have the latest version of all the device drivers.

After it goes to stand-by, you can resume it?

Maybe something in the BIOS?

I have heard bad of SP3, causing conflicts with programs. I made no changes to XP so why would it start on its own doing this?

It always resumes after it goes into stand-by. A lot of the time it will resume by itself and stop at the log on screen waiting for input.

No upgrade for BIOS has the latest ver available.

• Administrator

I'd check the settings for power in the control panel. I also agree about upgrading to SP3. Only issue I ever heard about was with HP and AMD. But that was HP's fault.

Change your power settings in the bios back to default, and the check the power settings in windows, you must be missing something. Is it a laptop or desktop, if a laptop get the updated power utility of the website and install. its got to be one of those. make sure the devices can't be turned off , eg: network cards in order to save power, change via device manager under advanced settings for each.

Change your power settings in the bios back to default, and the check the power settings in windows, you must be missing something. Is it a laptop or desktop, if a laptop get the updated power utility of the website and install. its got to be one of those. make sure the devices can't be turned off , eg: network cards in order to save power, change via device manager under advanced settings for each.

It is a desk top. I have slide mounts for the drives. I installed a clean XP on to a new drive (WD500) and then updated to SP3. I thought that would do it. Same thing. It does not do it in safe mode that I have seen. MO change next. I also see no minidump in c:\windows\

it is enough to drive a person to apple......

It is a desk top. I have slide mounts for the drives. I installed a clean XP on to a new drive (WD500) and then updated to SP3. I thought that would do it. Same thing. It does not do it in safe mode that I have seen. MO change next. I also see no minidump in c:\windows\

it is enough to drive a person to apple......

oh, not in safe mode, well then..Interesting: sounds like a service or or corrupt service, are you sure the xp cd is good version. did you change the bios power settings back to default or try different settings in the cmos?

Archived