Microsoft to offer free security

Capman

I think that many antivirus companies will get very upset about this, and will complain to the European Court about anti-competitiveness and monopoly.

Because this will lead to the sale of third-party commercial antivirus software will decrease.

Nobody will miss Norton though.

This may be dangerous though, because if having a built-in antivirus software results in people stop purchasing antivirus software, and that results in the antivirus software companies going out of business, then there is a dangerous security monoculture where the Microsoft Antivirus is the only option of antivirus software. Now if that don't work good, then people in a pretty bad situation.

I think that many antivirus companies will get very upset about this, and will complain to the European Court about anti-competitiveness and monopoly.

Because this will lead to the sale of third-party commercial antivirus software will decrease.

Nobody will miss Norton though.

This may be dangerous though, because if having a built-in antivirus software results in people stop purchasing antivirus software, and that results in the antivirus software companies going out of business, then there is a dangerous security monoculture where the Microsoft Antivirus is the only option of antivirus software. Now if that don't work good, then people in a pretty bad situation.

Indeed it is. But they didn't get in trouble for having a firewall, did they?

Indeed it is. But they didn't get in trouble for having a firewall, did they?

Not as far as I know.

But I know that EU was on them for shipping Windows with Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player. Which I think was quite silly of EU.

The decision was based on the grounds that Microsoft had abused its dominant position in the market to push other products onto consumers.

This resulted in Microsoft making Windows XP "N" Edition for Europe.

I think that if Microsoft wants to include antivirus software, then let them. Antivirus companies will be kicking and screaming though.