Foxit Reader 4.0

Foxit Reader 4.0

June 29, 2010

banner.jpg

NEW! Foxit Reader 4.0

Now with more viewing, mark-up and collaboration features than ANY other PDF Reader for Windows

Foxit Reader 4.0 is a small, fast, and feature rich PDF viewer for Microsoft Windows, which allows you to open, view, and print any PDF file. Foxit Reader is an application with a small footprint that is secure, offering a number of protection schemes to insure protection guard against malicious PDF files.

Enterprise Ready PDF Platform

Foxit Reader 4.0 is designed for a broad spectrum of users including enterprise and government organizations. Foxit Reader is fully customizable to meet any organization business objective and its small footprint makes it easy to deploy. It is also packed with features not available in competitor's products. Foxit Reader's small footprint makes easy to update and maintain. Finally, Foxit Reader adheres to all ISO 32000 standards.

Packed with Professional Features

Foxit Reader 4.0 has been redesigned to include many features not found in other free PDF readers such as: document collaboration, commenting tools, spell checking, multi-level security, form filling, and multimedia support.

Award Winning PDF Reader

Finally, Foxit Reader is used by tens of millions of users worldwide, making it one of the most popular PDF readers for Windows, second only to Adobe Reader. Foxit Readers award winning features and capabilities have led to increasing success as the alternative PDF reader for Windows.

Download: Foxit Reader 4.0 (enu)(exe) | Foxit Reader 4.0 (enu)(msi)

Release Info:

Language: English

OS: Windows 2000,Windows XP,Windows Server 2003,Windows Vista, Windows 7

What's New in Foxit Reader 4.0?

The following is a list of exciting new features in Foxit Reader 4.0.

New features:

* Added a advanced set of professional features

The New Reader 4.0 now includes Comments tools, Text Viewer & Text Converter, Form Filler, Spell Checker and Advanced

Editing Tools; and it is still free. No additional licensing is required for more features with PDFs.

* Enhanced Safe Mode Setting

Supports Safe Mode settings during installation, streamlining the workflow and offering better protection with PDF File.

* Bug Fixes:

Fixed the crash issue when opening certain PDF documents.

Add-ons: See: Free Critical Add-ons in Foxit Reader

Screenshots: Foxit Reader 4.0 Screenshots

Homepage: Foxit Reader on the Web

Nitro PDF really looks promising. :)

I was going to post the information despite the download size being relatively large for only a pdf 'reader' (20MB+), also, it wouldn't work without installation (looking to create a somewhat portable install by extracting the contents of the executable, didn't work) so I gave up.

When you've been using it for a while and have an opinion please post your thoughts - I'm under the impression it is more than a 'reader' -> a pdf creation & editing tool - yes / no? If, yes, are the creation & editing features in the 'free' version?

• Administrator

I have been reading that Foxit has issues reading very large PDF files, which can cause it to lock up. If you make use of the browser plugin, it locks up browsers even worse.

There's no PDF reader available anywhere, without problems somewhere along the road.

The problem is the overloaded PDF format itself: you can play Movies and Sounds, you can embed 3D graphics objects, you can run javascript, you can launch a command prompt (or any other program) or communicate across the internet.

All in all, the PDF spec. runs to 756 pages. It's far too complex for anyone to come up with a secure bug-free reader.

I haven't used the plugin nor have I had much experience with the more complicated features found in PDF files - see James comment - and I don't recall having issues with large PDFs locking up Foxit, or any problems for that matter. I guess we need to define 'large'. I haven't loaded any PDFs larger than maybe 200MB.

It got me thinking, "what about 4.0"? I use the .zip version along with a few of the addons, just updated moments ago - here's Foxit Reader 4.0 loaded with 3 PDF files (239MB total), set at 'Fit Width' (zooms better than 150%). I scrolled and clicked my way through all 3 files without a hiccup :)

foxit.pdf.test.image._thumb.jpg

I've heard some users claim the 'clarity' is not as good in Foxit as it is in 'Adobe' or even 'Sumatra'. I will test 'Foxit 4.0' and 'Sumatra' to see if I can detect a difference.

There seems to be some conflict of user experience in Foxit:

On the one hand, for a 70MB file, "scrolling was painful"

and yet gUiTaR_mIkE has a file this size loaded along with two others.

I suspect this has as much to do with the graphics hardware on the computer as it does with Foxit itself.

For comparison, on two computers I have:-

the older one -- a single core Pentium 4 but with an nVidea graphics card -- scrolling is quick and uses little CPU time.

the newer one -- dual core, but with integrated onboard Intel graphics -- scrolling IS slow and can consume significant CPU time.

Also, on older machines the amount of available RAM is going to make a difference as well. mIkE's screenshot takes up over 3 MB when loaded in RAM, so multiply that by 465 pages, if there are graphics on every page, and you have really quite large RAM requirements.

Thanks for your comments mIkE.

I use the .zip version ...

That is important to note, as there seems to be all sorts of add-on toolbars and other cr*pware present in the installer, but NOT in the ZIP. Other forums have complained about the "extras" and how difficult it is to avoid installing them -- the best solution is always to download the ZIP and use that instead.

My system is extremely modest by today's standards - Athlon XP 1800 1.533Mhz, 1GB RAM PC2700, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP 8x.

Well, that tends to support what I've said, or maybe it just confirms that Intel on-board integrated graphics are rubbish (at least for the vintage I have).