Problem with Monitor or System

Mudd

I have a Gateway PC with a Gateway Monitor. Thing started happening about a month ago. First the 264MB Graphics Board quit after I noticed it was heating up to 179 F. It would go off, cool down a little and then play again. Finally it quit all together.

So, the Generic on the MotherBoard took over and it has been O.K. for a while. Today I left it on while leaving for a while. When I returned it was blah! About 1/2 of the picture was on the left, with a large blank space in the middle and just a little of the screen on the right.

I could run the mouse all the way to the left and it would appear on the small part.

After fooling around I set the screen resolution to a lower resolution, change the 75hz to 60hz and all is well. It ran on the highest resolution for a month or more, not it won't.

I'm ready to buy a new PC. My question: From what I described above, do you think my Monitor has a part in the mess; or is it the PC system itself.

The Monitor is a HD Monitor and has an excellent picture.

Hoping I make sense with this.

Mudd

• Administrator

If you have access to other graphics cards, I'd try popping one in that works with your system so you can check. From there it should be easy to conclude which is the problem. You may also want to try using a different VGA/DVI/HDMI cable.

Is it still under warranty?

If you have access to other graphics cards, I'd try popping one in that works with your system so you can check. From there it should be easy to conclude which is the problem. You may also want to try using a different VGA/DVI/HDMI cable.

Is it still under warranty?

No, not under warranty. About 5 years old. Also, don't have any cards or cables. I'm an old coot living way out from any city of any size. Would be a 90 mile round trip to get a cable. Don't see how it would be worth a new graphics card because of it's age.

I'm kind of wanting a new one anyway. Just thought I'll ask and try to determine if I needed a new monitor. The monitor is a Flat Panel 22 inch with, "HD ready with DCD* video processing 1680x1050." It won't go in 1680 as I found out yesterday. That was causing the divided screen. So I'm down to 1600x900 and the screen comes together.

If you took a wild guess would it be System rather than Monitor? That's what I'm thinking.

Mudd

• Administrator

Yeah, to me it sounds like the problem is the graphics card/integrated graphics.

With it being 5 years old, investing in a new one may be worthwhile. My last computer was about 5-6 years old and was a Gateway. When I went to get a new one I was going to talk to them on the phone but you can't even do that anymore. So instead I got one from Dell and worked with them over the phone (after building my own on their website) and have been extremely pleased with it. Though I will admit I formatted and installed my own Windows 7 Ultimate x64 to remove all the OEM software I didn't want integrated. :)

Yeah, to me it sounds like the problem is the graphics card/integrated graphics.

With it being 5 years old, investing in a new one may be worthwhile. My last computer was about 5-6 years old and was a Gateway. When I went to get a new one I was going to talk to them on the phone but you can't even do that anymore. So instead I got one from Dell and worked with them over the phone (after building my own on their website) and have been extremely pleased with it. Though I will admit I formatted and installed my own Windows 7 Ultimate x64 to remove all the OEM software I didn't want integrated. :)

You Sir can do things I cannot. I would have to accept what I got as final.

I learned the PC while recuperating from an injury that kept me in the house for several months in 1998. I ordered a Dell online. Had two more over the years. Only had trouble with the last one. So, instead of ordering another Dell I thought this one from Best Buy was O.K., and it has been for the years. Think I will go back to dell.

If it's not to personal, would you tell me the Model you got? I was looking last night at the 580, customized without a Monitor and it jumped to about $800 after I selected what I wanted instead of what they offered. Lot of money. I'm 76 year old and can't do much outside anymore and a PC is a lifesaver from boredom. I have a few acres I used to plant for a garden and irrigate but to old for that also.

Thanks for your information. Think I will order a Dell without a monitor. Then if it is the Monitor I can buy one from New-Egg or somewhere like that.

Again thanks. No everybody takes the time to help a Novice Old Man like myself. They don't have time!

Mudd

Archived