Working Files

I replaced that jumper you mentioned to the slave drive and I was able to access my old files. I think the master drive is dead because when I connect the power cable to it I don't hear any noise.

Wow! If I've read this topic correctly, it was the slave drive (the Seagate) that you had all your working files on. So does that mean you have finally had succes in recovering your working files?

If so, it's worth noting for everyone's future reference that at least one brand of PATA-USB adapter doesn't work if the drive is set to slave.

Yes I retrieved the files on the slave drive but I still have some files on the master that I haven't been able to access. For some reason my new PC isn't recognizing it. The master drive is several years older than the slave, maybe it's incompatible with windows 7? Not really sure.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to reconnect the old master drive to my new PC. The drive is working (I can hear it running) but I am getting the message that the drive is not recognized. Any options?

Where is the old Master on the cable inside your PC, if it's the Slave position remove the jumper, and double check the cable at the drive - is the cable properly seated?

There should be Primary Master/Slave and Secondary Master/Slave IDE connectors on your motherboard, locate the drive correctly on the cable.

You may need to check the BIOS settings, if your old settings are Type [user Defined] (or some variation), set the hard drive detection to Type [Automatic].

I didn't not connect it directly to the mother board. I used a universal IDE/SATA to USB adapter. It worked for the slave drive, but not the master.

Yes I retrieved the files on the slave drive ...

:D

... but I still have some files on the master that I haven't been able to access. For some reason my new PC isn't recognizing it. The master drive is several years older than the slave, maybe it's incompatible with windows 7? Not really sure.

It might be a bit older, but it's still just as compatible. According to the manual, that Maxtor is also Ultra ATA/133 and S.M.A.R.T. 4. So, it's actually quite recent for an IDE/PATA drive. As I recall, Maxtor actually came out with ATA/133 drives before Seagate did.

Also if you look back at the SeaTools screenshot you posted in post #35, you can see that the Icon against the "MAXTOR 6L020J1" is Gold, not Grey. This shows that SeaTools recognises the drive as one of its own (that's because Maxtor are now owned by Seagate) and hence will be given full support by the SeaTools software.

Were you able to get past the "Test Unavailable" problem in any way?

I didn't not connect it directly to the mother board. I used a universal IDE/SATA to USB adapter. It worked for the slave drive, but not the master.

I understand, but at times the dialog is difficult to follow - post#44 the drive appears to be dead (no noise), post#48 the drive once again appears to be working (you can hear it). You got the Seagate working and were able to get your files (after adjusting the jumper), it should be the same for the Maxtor (locate the jumper accordingly). Post#13 & #38 you ask if connecting the drive directly would help, post#48 "I tried to reconnect the old master drive to my new PC" - I wasn't sure if you connected directly or via the adapter.

If you really need the data on the drive, and your not sure if it's working via the adapter, why not go ahead and install the Maxtor in an available bay (assuming you have one) and connect it as a Primary Slave drive or Secondary Master/Slave drive - you should have an extra cable from your old PC (not sure if you have room on your motherboard)? This is not the easier of the options but you eliminate the adapter as a factor and now have all the local tools working directly with a local drive rather than an external drive. If you've connected everything correctly using the adapter (it seems to be the case, the Seagate worked) just call the Maxtor a dead drive, it does happen.

Maybe a break from the task will help - read the docs (Adapter, SeaTools etc) in the mean time, maybe there's something you're overlooking that at this end we can't see.

Is there encryption software installed on the drive hiding the Maxtor's contents?

PS: Don't forget to put the jumper back on the master (Maxtor) drive, if you haven't already done so.

Don't forget this, I had mentioned removing the jumper but I was assuming you had installed the Maxtor locally.