• Administrator

I gave this a bit of a try, you have to use a USB stick, or CD/DVD to burn this onto. You can also get an ISO which is nice as well. It was roughly 200MB to download inside of the program.

The immediate download is not much more than a download manager:

post-993-0-98743600-1307891373_thumb.jpg

with some added logic. It won't run, for example on Windows Server, otherwise it allows you to choose between burning a CD, copying to a blank USB drive or burning an ISO file.

Finally got a chance to try this tonight. A neighbour popped up on Facebook chat asking for help because her laptop was claiming to be infected, and she couldn't get on the internet any more.

I told her to bring it over, sure enough it was infected, with a rogue anti-virus, I think it was called Windows 7 Anti-Virus or something like that.

It wouldn't let me run MBAM, so rather than mess around trying things, I downloaded Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta , booted from it and it found 3 severe/high alert threats that it dealt with.

Once it restarted I installed MBAM, SAS and avast using a cd that I burnt in May, so it has old definitions on it, but they still found a lot things to delete.

Tomorrow I will connect it to the internet, update the definitions and then scan again.

The main thing is though, Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta got me to a stage that the computer was more usable.

• Administrator

A neighbour popped up on Facebook chat asking for help because her laptop was claiming to be infected, and she couldn't get on the internet any more.

Does this seem a bit strange to anyone else? Mindboggling! :o

Nice to know it has positive results. I'm really proud of how Microsoft is getting involved and taking quality strides in PC security. :)

A neighbour popped up on Facebook chat asking for help because her laptop was claiming to be infected, and she couldn't get on the internet any more.

Does this seem a bit strange to anyone else? Mindboggling! :o

Is it strange?

It happens to me all the time with loads of people asking for help on Facebook.

She is actually a regular too, and one of the only ones that I don't charge to get it sorted. She is a single mum in her thirties with 5 kids, her husband died about 3 or 4 years ago, I just don't have the heart to charge her.

• Administrator

Just making a bit of fun of the fact she messaged you on Facebook saying she couldn't get on the Internet anymore. But to use Facebook surely you'd need Internet. :P

A very bad joke, I'm sorry! Forgive me! :D

... sure enough it was infected, with a rogue anti-virus, ...

Seems to be everywhere, now. Probably because they each make about $24,000,000 per year selling this fraudulent stuff.

Glad to read that the MSSS caught it, because they can be difficult to get a grip on when they disable the EXE file association in the Registry.

Just making a bit of fun of the fact she messaged you on Facebook saying she couldn't get on the Internet anymore. But to use Facebook surely you'd need Internet. :P

A very bad joke, I'm sorry! Forgive me! :D

Sorry, it was late, I always tend to get carried away and stay up late when working on a computer because I like to get them back to the owner as soon as possible.

If I had waited until today to read your post I would of got the joke.