A little RAM upgrade

Inu-ya

ok, here my Motherboard - K7T266 Pro2

I have two sticks of 256MB (PC2100). One in right slot and the other in the left slot. My brother is getting 1GB (PC3200) and is willing to give me a stick of 256MB (PC2100). I'm going to put that stick in the middle slot. I'm wondering will this give any system performance Improvement. My CPU is an AMD Athlon Xp 2000+ 1.667GHZ.

My graphics card is an - ASUS ATI 9200SE 64-Bit 4X AGP enabled. Max support for board is only 4X anyways. I play Halo for PC and it hangs while exiting a server or exiting the game. could it be my Video card? Since it's ONLY 64-BIT and yes of course we all gamers and computer people recommend 128-BIT but I need to know cause I'm planning on getting a ATI 9800Pro but I need to know will my Board be able to keep up with the high-In card.

(I also play Dawn Of War and it runs well on my card but it shuts off doo to heat)

How many memory slots are available ?

Make sure you check your Power supply Wattage.(350W or more).

I would expand your memory to a least 1 GB Ram , even if you have to take out your existing Ram boards and put in new ..Also make sure you get 2 DIMM cards that are 512MB the same. Looks like your system may only take 1GB or maybe 2GB Ram...BE SURE.... :cuddle:

If you get a new video card with 128MB , make sure your power supply can handle it. You should have a video card with 128MB at least .....

How many memory slots are available ?

Make sure you check your Power supply Wattage.(350W or more).

I would expand your memory to a least 1 GB Ram , even if you have to take out your existing Ram boards and put in new ..Also make sure you get 2 DIMM cards that are 512MB the same. Looks like your system may only take 1GB or maybe 2GB Ram...BE SURE.... :cuddle:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My board can take 3GB my friend. I'm just adding a 256MB stick and that will only add 768MB of RAM. but my video card need replaced badly

My board can take 3GB my friend. I'm just adding a 256MB stick and that will only add 768MB of RAM. but my video card need replaced badly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like I said , expand to at least 1GB Ram .......2GB would be better ..I am not sure your system will notice a major difference with an extra 256MB.....

What is is Power Supply Wattage ?

When you get a new video card , it will tell you what Powr supply you will need to run the VC.....Also , make sure you get the right interface.....AGP...PCI EXPRESS..or God forbid, PCI SLOT....

When you get a new video card , it will tell you what Powr supply you will need to run the VC.....Also , make sure you get the right interface.....AGP...PCI EXPRESS..or God forbid, PCI SLOT....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My power supply is 300W! My AGP is 4X

My power supply is 300W! My AGP is 4X

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The ATI 9800Pro is a high-end video card as you said before ..I would check the mfg's specs about what power supply to use and if it comes with an AGP interface.

This card might be PCI Express interface only...BE SURE. :cuddle:

However, You can install the 256MB Ram Memory and find out what happens...This will not be hard to do...Once you put in the card and power up... your system will either reject the extra ram or recognize the extra ram.....If your system recognizes it run your most robust game and find out if the original problem stops... punk.gif

Hey Inu,

You should have enough power with the 300 watts. I'm running a GeForce 5200 FX 128Mb and I just have 250 watts. According to ATI the 9800 Pro will run 4X. For gaming, you should see some improvement when you add the 256Mb of memory. One way to get an idea is to go to System Tools > System Information and see what your available memory is. XP eats a lot of memory so you probably have around 300Mb available. Adding 256Mb should almost double the memory available for gaming.