Laptop Won't Turn On

FastEddie57

My daughter's dropped her Apple laptop and not it won't start. The wireless mouse receiver was plugged into the laptop's USB port and when the unit fell the receiver jammed a little into the USB port ant the port got bent. Since this happened the laptop won't turn on. Does anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong and possibly how to fix it? Thanks

10 hours ago, Tarun said:

@FastEddie57 I assume you've tried to turn it on with the power unplugged or plugged in?

Guessing no sounds of fans or anything from it either?

Hi, thanks for replying. The unit won't turn on. I tried to turn it on plugged in and also unplugged. Thanks. 

• Administrator

@FastEddie57 Unless you have the necessary tools and comfort level of opening up the MacBook - and it's warranty has ended - you may want to take it in for service. A call to Apple will help you find an authorized repair depot nearest to you. Other options would be a mom and pop tech shop, or anywhere that does PC repair. I'm not sure how Best Buy handles it in the US, but I know privacy of your data is a concern at Best Buy US.

I suspect that something else in the laptop has been damaged or knocked loose. I've seen MacBooks take a few heavy hits and still work. Likely something internal is at fault.

• 3 weeks later...

Still trouble shooting it. From the YouTube videos, I have to open it up and remove the battery, then test it, then hard drive, memory, test power cable, port where you plug cable, etc.  Thank you for asking. 

Ed

• 1 month later...

I finally opened the laptop up. The USB 2.0 port if broken where it attaches to the board or card.  See attachment. Would this be the reason the laptop won't start up? I tested the power cord and it's functional. Also tested the port where you plug it in, and it tested functional. Any comments are appreciated. thanks

USB Port 2.0.jpg

• Administrator

I would honestly need to see some closer, larger pics or a video if at all possible. Unfortunately the image above is the size of a thumbnail. If it was fine before posting I can check the forum settings.

3 hours ago, Tarun said:

I would honestly need to see some closer, larger pics or a video if at all possible. Unfortunately the image above is the size of a thumbnail. If it was fine before posting I can check the forum settings.

It wouldn't let me attach the original photo. It said it was too large so I reduced it. Say the max file I can attach is 103.83 kB. Let me know if this picture is better. I can try emailing it to you or if you have another idea please let me know.  Thank you. 

Broken USB Port Pic 2.jpg