Throw A Party, Ive Made A Decision

corjello

Ok, so im taking a big step here, im chucking out Norton. Its giving me problems and i cant stand it any more. Ive found this to help remove all the crap that was installed from it. Any other suggestions? other than running ccleaners reg cleaner about ten times?

)corjello(

should i run everything on DAF?

i just ran it the norton stuff and used the reg cleaner. no issues so far

Also, after running the norton thingies, my Windows Defender and Sound Equalizer arent showing up by my clock. Any fixes?

)corjello(

should i run everything on DAF?

i just ran it the norton stuff and used the reg cleaner. no issues so far

Also, after running the norton thingies, my Windows Defender and Sound Equalizer arent showing up by my clock. Any fixes?

)corjello(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With DAF it's always a good idea to click the green check mark > then click GO.

As for Windows Defender it only shows up by your clock when it's reminding you to scan, or telling you to update.

Can't help you with the Sound Equalizer. :unsure: I would check my Device Manager, and see if anything shows up there. :P

• Administrator

They may be auto-hidden when not used. Another thing is that they may also be a part of a startup item that is now disabled. Some sound cards have custom equalizers. If you mean the speaker where you access the Volume Controls, you can re-enable that through Sounds & Devices.

ok, cool. i ran everything on DAF and when it went thru windows update, it tried to tell me to restart. i said no, cause i figured i should let it finish, and it came up with an error for that section. Windows update works anyways, so im not worried. Also, Tarun, I dont know if im liking Outpost. It keeps on trying me to update to their 30 day free trial of pro verison. Also, why does EZ Antivirus have two icons on my taskbar. One of them is for like a suite (which includes like firewall, antispyware, antispam) but none of those are installed, except for the antivirus. If i post a HJT can you take out one of the extra icon for me?

)corjello(

I removed the free norton's off of my computer cause it was blocking my network. Should I run DAF? I have figured out that all the stuff in the malware pro pack is everything I need. And it's all free. How cool is that? I didn't like outpost either, corjello. I stuck with windows firewall cause it is hassle free for me. I don't really "get" all the rule making stuff.

• Administrator

I removed the free norton's off of my computer cause it was blocking my network. Should I run DAF? I have figured out that all the stuff in the malware pro pack is everything I need. And it's all free. How cool is that? I didn't like outpost either, corjello. I stuck with windows firewall cause it is hassle free for me. I don't really "get" all the rule making stuff.

I'd run DAF just to be safe. You never know what removing Norton has borked. You may also wish to use the SymNRT. Why on earth they now have three files is beyond me.

1. MSIFIX.bat
  2. SymNRT
  3. SYMMSICLEANUP.reg
With Outpost, you make rules (just as you do with every other firewall and router) to ensure that the application only has access to certain ports and methods. Outpost Pro 3.5 has preset rules automatically included to make the process easier on the user.

• Administrator

What are the two icons in the taskbar? I stopped using the real time eTrust AV protection, so I have no icons in my tray. :unsure:

Also, for your Outpost issue. Help > Uncheck the "Automatically check for Update".

ok, cool. i ran everything on DAF and when it went thru windows update, it tried to tell me to restart. i said no, cause i figured i should let it finish, and it came up with an error for that section. Windows update works anyways, so im not worried. Also, Tarun, I dont know if im liking Outpost. It keeps on trying me to update to their 30 day free trial of pro verison. Also, why does EZ Antivirus have two icons on my taskbar. One of them is for like a suite (which includes like firewall, antispyware, antispam) but none of those are installed, except for the antivirus. If i post a HJT can you take out one of the extra icon for me?

)corjello(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was wondering about the HJT log, i went through it by myself with a guide to explain each catagory and i didnt see anything related to the icons, so im wondering if you could for me. Also your comments on my thoughts on ezvirus and outpost would be interesting.

sorry for the confusuion :unsure:

)corjello(

• Administrator

)corjello(

I was wondering about the HJT log, i went through it by myself with a guide to explain each catagory and i didnt see anything related to the icons, so im wondering if you could for me. Also your comments on my thoughts on ezvirus and outpost would be interesting.

sorry for the confusuion :unsure:

)corjello(

The icons would be related to the O4 items. CAVTray may be the one. CAVRID I'm unsure exactly what it goes to. Do you have any other eTrust applications installed? Perhaps that like, 5 year free PestPatrol?

I just tried ZoneAlarm Pro on a Virtual PC and wow, it's worse than ever. :\ Way too many prompts and nags. Outpost Free may not look that great, but it has a high level of protection and setting rules is easy. If it's an application you trust, you can allow it full access.

Thanks for the reply, ill look at my log. no other eTrust stuff installed right now. Ill look into the icon more..

About Outpost, I agree but why does pro have a version like 3.5 or something and free only version 1?

also, what does like /r and /waitservice and other stuff like that mean. (they are at the end of the strings)

)corjello(

• Administrator

Thanks for the reply, ill look at my log. no other eTrust stuff installed right now. Ill look into the icon more..

I think an icon appears for updates, I'm unsure though. I'm looking into another AV. :unsure:

About Outpost, I agree but why does pro have a version like 3.5 or something and free only version 1?

I believe the Free version was abandoned; which is a shame. The Pro version is worth every penny however.

also, what does like /r and /waitservice and other stuff like that mean. (they are at the end of the strings)

)corjello(

Those are application switches, even HijackThis has them. Run HijackThis with /ihatewhitelists and see what turns up.

thats weird i got a bunch of 01s, what does it mean?

actually, i got a ton of s***. was it all hiding before?

ahh, no!!!!

looky!

023 - Symantec Core LC - Smantec Corporation - C:\ProgramFiles\COmmon Files\Symantec Shared\CCPd-LC\symlcsvc.exe

GAH, i thought i got rid of that stuff. Or do i have to do it to each account?

)corjello(

• Administrator

All those that were hidden were due to whitelists, meaning they're safe.

I believe you only need to do it for the administrator account, and/or the account Norton was installed on.