Black and White

Um well I dont know how to do it with gimp? But I do know how to do it with Photoshop, I imagine it will be fairly similar. Here's how to do it in photoshop:

1) Start with the full coloured image. Select the parts with the pen tool that you wish to remain in colour colour. Ctrl+c (copy that part of the image for a copy of it if you mess up)

2) When you have the parts you wish to remain in colour, Select inverse.

3) Once it is inversed, dont do anything.. Just desaturate (image>adjustments>desaturate) and it should turn all parts except the part that you highlighted black/white.. And leave the other parts in colour..

//Haze

Cool! Thanks for the mini-tutorial, Haze :P

sometimes is the camera.... the camera has a different setting to have different picture outcomes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe, but I don't think cameras are smart enough to differentiate certain parts yet...

easily they are. It depends upon the lighting in the room. Now in the background looks like she is in a darker room like at night. And she used a flash, and the flash isnt as intense as it should be.. Notice the shadow she is able to cast from the flash.

is there a big diffrence between CS and CS2? we use the CS2 at school on the macs, and i picked it up real easy. I'm too lazy to find a torrent site that has a torrent of a copy of it though.

)corjello(

No not much difference at all..

Adobe I think released CS2 mainly for photographers. It only has a few extra features mainly only useful for photography.

If you have 7.0 or CS.. I would advise not to get CS2 unless your a hardcore photographer :P .

//Haze

I use Photoshop 7.0, it provides basic functionality that I need (really basic editing, sig-making if I feel like it, etc.).

At school we have CS, which is, I think, a pretty big difference from 7. But then again, it is somewhat overkill-ish, since all the stuff I do for Journalism usually doesn't get more complicated than making something like this:

flag8dq.th.png

It's just the flag for our school newspaper :P

No not much difference at all..

Adobe I think released CS2 mainly for photographers. It only has a few extra features mainly only useful for photography.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but the new features that it does have are pretty nifty! I personally like the new Healing Brush tool that doesn't require you to select a spot first. The old tool is still there as well, as the new one isn't perfect, but usually it works pretty good, and saves lazy people such as myself the trouble of having to hold down the Alt key and select a spot before healing. I mean, come on, that's a lot of work... :P

Like I said.. 7.0 is fine for most things..

Yeah imo CS2 is a waste of money.. The healing brush, meh you gotta be pretty lazy to click the spot.. There's one big feature in CS2 which I forgot what it is, but its mainly for photography.

//Haze

The healing brush, meh you gotta be pretty lazy to click the spot..

Guilty as charged. :P

There's one big feature in CS2 which I forgot what it is, but its mainly for photography.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe the Free Transform (think that's what it's called)? And yeah, I would never use it.