Just Goes To Show

Mum used to cut chicken, slice eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't get food poisoning.

My Mum used to defrost mince-meat on the kitchen sink AND I used to eat a bite raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper, in a brown paper bag, not in icepack coolers, but I can't remember anybody getting e.coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all played sport, and also did PE... and risked permanent injury with a pair of Dunlop runners (only worn in the gym or the sports ground) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built-in light reflectors.. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened, because they tell us how much safer we are now....

Flunking sport was not an option.... even for stupid kids!  There were not many fat kids.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the National Anthem and got free school milk for strong bones and teeth, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention. We must have had horribly damaged psyches.

What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything, and she could even give you an aspirin for a headache or fever.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself. I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Playstation, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

Oh yeah..and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the castle' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mum pulled out the 48-cent bottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our hair ruffled and got told to get back out there!  Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mum calls the Solicitor to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't misbehave at the mate's house either, because if we did, we got our bum smacked there, and then we got bum belted again when we got home. I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front veranda, just before he fell off. Little did his Mumknow that she could have owned our house. Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a yobbo.

It was a neighbourhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a "dysfunctional family". How could we possibly have known that we needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac! How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA, AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T---- SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING

Cheers :P

That is how i grew up, and loved every second of it. I remember my grandma making me snow sundaes with vanilla and milk. Climbing to the top of the apple tree 5 times a day, cause i thought it would make me strong. Taking off and hiking in the woods for hours. I miss my grandma, and when someone else paid all the bills.

That is how i grew up, and loved every second of it. I remember my grandma making me snow sundaes with vanilla and milk. Climbing to the top of the apple tree 5 times a day, cause i thought it would make me strong. Taking off and hiking in the woods for hours. I miss my grandma, and when someone else  paid all the bills.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And I bet grandma was thinking "I wish i didn't have sc up my a** 24/7".

Think about it.

That is how i grew up, and loved every second of it. I remember my grandma making me snow sundaes with vanilla and milk. Climbing to the top of the apple tree 5 times a day, cause i thought it would make me strong. Taking off and hiking in the woods for hours. I miss my grandma, and when someone else  paid all the bills.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And I bet grandma was thinking "I wish i didn't have sc up my a** 24/7".

Think about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I wasn't up her a** 24/7, but i was my mother's and she never did anything with me. I play with my kids, I just need some "me" time, cappy.

I know you do, we all do from time to time.

I snapped at my daughter last night because she wanted me to download something but she could not really explain what it was, and I got frustrated trying to figure out what she was on about.

Found out about an hour later that I had made her cry.

So I know how you feel, and I am only messing with you as always.

WOW yeah, those WERE the good ole days and yes, kids now a days are really missing out. They are so into the TV in one way or another and other "gadgets" that they are really missing sooooooo much.

What really disturbs me is seeing parents (BOTH) driving down the road and both are on cell phones while their toddler is in his seat staring around and not getting any interaction what so ever from a HUMAN! Ya know that's what happens to them at home too. That's so sad.

I love when I can get my 3 year old Grandson and plant flowers, or pick up rocks around my house, or do ANYTHING with the TV and other gadgets away from us. He mainly plays videos at his house. It's the babysitter, and my son is so "into" WOW on the internet that he's missing out so much too. Can't tell them at this age tho, I've tried. It's sad

And this is NOT the way my kids grew up! I was a single mom but took my kids a lot of places so they could see what else is out there. Just to get an Ice cream cone once a month was a treat for them back then.

My day is getting grimmer by the moment.

You'll have me crying in my beer soon Texas, I still have a post of yours to read, hope you are happy in that one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:P Hmmmmmmmm Cappy, I'm happy MOST of the time, life is too short not to let things just go. BUT...watching the world disenigrate (prolly sp) like it does and all the children suffering, that makes me really sad.

It's been just too long not being in here and all. Guess that makes me sad too LMAO Ok OoooooooooooooK, I'm smiling!!!! *whispering* does that count? *tilting head*