Thunderbird

MrT

before that (using thunderbird), i am using Outlook Express (the email client that comes with Windows if you guys happen to forget what it is) with my ISP mail account... everything work fine... but now i decided to switch to thunderbird and my gmail account like many others... :P

incoming server work fine... i am able to connect to the gmail server and receive email messages... but when thunderbird try connecting to my gmail account using gmail smtp server (smtp.gmail.com) through port 465, i am unable to send any email out... so i change my outgoing server to the one given to me by my ISP... and it works... but it uses port 25 (default) without any secure connection (thunderbird said it doesnt support TLS)... so is it safe... is it the way it should be...? sorry... you cant blame me for being dumb...

• Administrator

Did you enable POP through GMail over the web?

Also, check out this awesome link.

The problem you're having is that your port for GMail's SMTP is wrong.

Enter 'smtp.gmail.com' in the 'Server Name:' field under 'Outgoing Server (SMTP) Settings,' and enter '587' in the 'Port:' field.

Check the box next to 'Use name and password,' and enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') in the 'User Name:' field.

Select 'TLS' under 'Use secure connection,' and click 'OK.'

• Administrator

Wow, they actually updated for 1.5? I'd update my links, if their settings worked. Tried with their new settings and it did not work at all. When I used port 587 everything works fine.