Cannot Rename File...

soph

I want to rename a file but Windows says the file already exists, but I look around and there is no such file.

I would like to rename file: on.php to con.php

If I rename the file on.php to son.php, there is no problem, only when I try to rename to con.php...

No, I can't see the file in the directory. I already set the Folder Options to show all hidden files including the system files. I can move on.php to any other folder but the result is the same. For example, currently the file is in "my website" folder, I move it to "testing" folder, it is okay..and then when I try to rename the file from "on.php" to "con.php", Windows does not allow me...no matter in which folder I move the file, the result is the same, it does not allow me to rename the file to "con.php". Do you think I have corrupted harddisk or maybe virus/trojan?

G'day Soph,

might want to do a global search for con.php, see if the file really does already exist somewhere. If this is the case and your reasonably sure that the file isn't being used rename it to con.bak, that way you can revert it later if it is required.

Cheers :P

Thank you for all the replies, and yes, thank you Mr.T, con is a reserved filename so I could not rename any file using that name..

according to google search, con = console ... :P

Archived