TurboChat

Tarun

• Administrator

What is it?

TurboChat is a way to quickly load your IM chat clients with a simple double click (or single click if in the Quick Launch bar!

What IM clients does it support?

Currently it will support AIM, WLM (formerly MSN), YIM, XFire, GAIM and Trillian!

Why did you make this?

I made this application because I used to run a few IM clients and one day I was tired of going to Start > Programs > {IM Client Shortcut). With this application, I could load whichever I wanted with one or two clicks.

What does this application do?

On your first run it will ask you which IM clients you want to load. After it loads the selected IM clients, it exits quickly. It takes a matter of nanoseconds to load your IM programs.

What do I do if I mess up?

A very small ini file will be created so that should anything go wrong, you simply delete the ini and restart the program.

Download: TurboChat (166KB, *.exe)

Awesome little app Tarun. :P

I had to edit the ini file so that Yahoo Messenger would start though.

edtYIM=C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe

what if i'm only using one chat client at the moment? will TurboChat be any use to me?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably not.

can i use it now and add other clients at a later time?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, see below. It is the same scenario really.

Or you could just edit the ini file yourself.

What do I do if I mess up?

A very small ini file will be created so that should anything go wrong, you simply delete the ini and restart the program.

Ok, now I got this error.

errordp6.jpg

You can see why from the third line down, that should just be the path in the ini file, not in the configuration window.

configurationqy3.jpg

This is what is showing in the ini file.

edtYIM=edtYIM=C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
But it should be this.
edtYIM=C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe

Editing the ini file makes it work ok again. :P

• 5 months later...

Nice.

I had to edit the TurboChat.ini file manually though, no matter how many times I deleted it and restarted TurboChat and selected AIM, WLM, Yahoo, and GoogleTalk, the chkGTalk entry was always set to 0.

Once I changed it to 1 in the ini file it worked like a dream.

Or you could just use a multi-protocol instant messenger such as Gaim, Trillian, Miranda IM, or any other. I think that multi-protocol messengers are smarter since it unifies all the instant messenging into one application which makes it easier and more organized while saving resources and using less processes.

Personally I like Miranda IM, which I use to connect to a Jabber network over an encrypted SSL connection.

By the way, plan to release the source code to TurboChat too? :happybday:

Seems like TurboChat despite its name, isn't limited to running chat programs.

I actually prefer AIM over them all. I still remember my seven digit ICQ number.

Think I had an 8 digit number, not sure. Not sure if I had any shorter number prior to that.

I remember people selling short numbers on eBay heh. :happybday:

Was crazy long time since I've used ICQ.

There is a saying, it goes something like "don't expect anything out of a coconut unless you got a huge stick" or something, heh... makes me think of AOL. :hello:

Or you could just use a multi-protocol instant messenger such as Gaim, Trillian, Miranda IM, or any other. I think that multi-protocol messengers are smarter since it unifies all the instant messenging into one application which makes it easier and more organized while saving resources and using less processes.

Personally I like Miranda IM, which I use to connect to a Jabber network over an encrypted SSL connection.

Thing is, Trillian etc, aren't great. Take WLM for instance, I can chat to both MSN and Yahoo contacts, but if I get Trillian, I have to make a whole new YIM account and re-add my contacts.

Thing is, Trillian etc, aren't great. Take WLM for instance, I can chat to both MSN and Yahoo contacts, but if I get Trillian, I have to make a whole new YIM account and re-add my contacts.

I guess that depends from user to user. Personally I know nobody with YIM (Yahoo Instant Messenger), and I really like to stay connected to Jabber :happybday: which I cant with MSN, WLM or YIM.