EOP

SenutyEnool

G'day folks,

just thought I'd share this with you as an option to wireless home networking.

My setup up at home allows me to have a wireless network, but I was having some grief for a while (connections kept dropping out) and decided to go back to a cabled network. After having installed new carpet in the house I didn't want to have the cable running across the floor in our loungeroom where we have our system's setup (at this stage only 2 PCs) and was racking my brain and re-reading/re-installing my wireless setup, but to no avail, still kept dropping out.

I then decided to google (Australia local) for networking solutions and come across this little gem:

Link: -> NP285 - Turbo HomePlug

What these two little boxes do, if you're not up on EOP, is allow you to connect (virtually up to 253 - but 10 is recommended max) PCs over your home power hardwiring.

The steps to installing this system was quite easy. Plug the adaptors into the nearest power point, plug in the cable and power your system and the adaptor up. For my case there was no software configuration needed and I was up and running within 10 minutes of getting the stuff out of the box.

I've now been on this system for a week and have had NO problems, in fact, the transfer speed has markedly improved over a direct connection to my router/switch (not sure why this is but I'm not complaining).

The other beauty about this is that I can move my PCs anywhere in the house (up to 200sqft distance from the router) and just plug the adaptor into the nearest power point and Voila, connection is up and running.

If you are worried about security, there is the option to password set the adaptors so that they synchronise with each other and won't allow outside intrusions to your system. The reason I've not opted for this, is because there is an inbuilt property that lets you scan what system's are currently connected to your system and knowing that my neighbours are NOT computer savvy I have no qualms about not applying the security option at this stage. But it is there if needed.

Am I happy with this? My bloody oath! As I've stated it was just a matter of plugging and playing, without the hassle of setting up your wireless configurations and recommend it also for those on a budget that want to network their home systems without needing wireless adaptors and wireless modems/routers/switches.

The other option I now have is to also buy another (single) adaptor and I'll be able to hook the XBox up to internet as well. There is one major problem with this though and that's the finance minister won't allow it at this stage :) . But her reasonings are valid as I'm going to upgrade to XBox360 by the new year :love:

If anyone wants any further info on this system let me know and I'll clarify/help where possible.

Cheers :love:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Glad to see another HomePlug fan out there! :happybday:

HomePlug does have drawbacks and problems but I'm glad to have the option.

Eh?.... what drawbacks and problems?.... dizzy.png

Reason I'm asking, is because since I've plugged it in I have had absolutely NO problems with the system and was wondering if I'd missed something?

Cheers :happybday:

Are we talking about the same product? :happybday:

I have had absolutely NO, and I mean NO problems in the last two months+ that I've been using it.

As I stated in my initial post, it even sped my system up, was on Cat5 cabling before upgrading.

As one of our more notorious politicians once said: "Please explain"......

I myself have no experience with it, however my college professor said he was beta testing it and that it's horrible.

Ah Hah! Information based on second hand knowledge.... shifty.gif We all know what that means......

Heheh, just messin' with ya. :happybday:

Seriously though (and you just know that it seriously won't last.....) I'd really like to find out more on this as I have an idea what the issue might/could be, but would need further testing.

The thing that I'm thinking of being the problem is the voltage.

Here we are on are 240V, whilst USofA is 110V (??), which may well be where the problem lies.

As you're aware, then again you may not, :) , we have less electrical problems here (don't ask me to quote, as it was some years back I read this) due to the higher voltage that we run on and this might, and I reiterate, might, be the problem. That's why I stated it would need further testing.

I'd be interested to hear feedback on this, 'specially Tain, who opened this COW.

What kind of network throughput do you get? I've had environments that were lucky to get transfer speeds of around 10kb/s. I've also seen problems with dropped/desynched connections in which two or more plugs had to be reset.

You are right that the electrical subsystem has a lot to do with it. To my surprise, HomePlug is actually more resilient to the effects of surge protectors than I was led to believe. Hit or miss!

What kind of network throughput do you get? I've had environments that were lucky to get transfer speeds of around 10kb/s. I've also seen problems with dropped/desynched connections in which two or more plugs had to be reset.

You are right that the electrical subsystem has a lot to do with it. To my surprise, HomePlug is actually more resilient to the effects of surge protectors than I was led to believe. Hit or miss!

G'day Tain,

if you don't mind me asking, where do you live? Reason I ask is as I've stated, it might well be a local power issue (voltage differences).

The other thing that springs to mind is that not many people here (Australia) now about this system, hence not many 'boxes' connected that 'might' interfere with each other, seeing the range is approx 200sqft.

And no, we're not talking about POE, hence the title of the topic "EOP, Ethernet Over Power".

• 3 weeks later...

My comments are based on experience from multiple locations around the world. But all of those grids met US code. But I don't think the low utilization you mentioned is much of an issue since the range is so short and is severely hindered (essentially eliminated) outside the local circuit.