Scan is causing issues

corjello

I recently hooked up our old scanner, i believe it was a very nice one back in the day, but now theyve put its drivers and such in the archives. So, the problem is i got it working and everything, and as an experiment set it up on the highest resolution and scaned a standard picture. when i try to open the picture in mspaint, i get an error "There is not enough memory or resources to complete operation. Close some programs, and then try again". Honestly, this is rediculous. You guys know me well enough that my computer is as clean as i can get it and no extra processes are running. When i open the picture in the GIMP, it actually opens, but then my computer slows to an almost standstill, requiring about 30 seconds to process each click or scroll. What do you guys suggest i do? Im assuming the max resolution i set it on did this, but all i think i need to do is cut out the empty white area around the picture and the problem will be fixed.

some number crunching

pic size - 3.71 MB (3,894,281 bytes)

resolution - 1200 dpi

)corjello(

yea, but i want as high a quality as i can get. there is no reason that my computer shouldnt be able to handle a 3Mb picture. Why does it slow to a stand still and not even allow it in MSPaint?

I'm leaning towards it being the software. As you've stated, the drivers and files can be found in an archive, therefore I'm guessing this is a VERY old scanner.

With the scanners software being so old it is not up to scratch with the system you're currently running (I'm guessing the software wasn't designed for XP) hence your system bogging down, and as you've stated it's only a 3mb file and in this day and age, that's a SMALL picture file. I had the same issue with an OLDer scanner, it now happily resides in the bin, well that's where I saw it last.......

My advice, seeing that good scanners are now very cheap, is to untie the purse strings and get a new one.

Cheers :love:

• Administrator

Being a 3MB file with 1200DPI it has to render all of that when you open it with a graphic editing application. That's why the system gets so sluggish. Being an old scanner it may not be smart enough to omit the whitespace.

Archived