Recuva

Capman

So, who's tried Recuva here?

How many deleted files is it finding for you?

I have been getting about 3000 on the main computer in work, and about 600-700 on my main computer at home.

Probably about half of the files that it is finding on my computer at home are unrecoverable though.

I think Ultimate was referring to the fact that the website for SDelete has no mention of XP.

However, I found a post from Mark from Sysinternals on the Sysinternals Forums that contained the following quote:

SDelete does work on XP - I never updated the web page to indicate that.

I'm going to have a play with it now. :happybday:

I think Ultimate was referring to the fact that the website for SDelete has no mention of XP.

However, I found a post from Mark from Sysinternals on the Sysinternals Forums that contained the following quote:

SDelete does work on XP - I never updated the web page to indicate that.

I'm going to have a play with it now. :happybday:

You got what I meant. I might well give it a go.

I use TuneUp Undelete. Finds loads of stuff, though how do you delete these files permanently?

You use a software that overwrites a file with random data or a pattern several times. Generally the more times you overwrite it, the more likely it is not to be recoverable. When you normally delete a file, the file is marked as removed from the filesystem which lets the filesystem write data to where the file was, but the data is still there on the disk which makes it recoverable using data-recovery software.

If you overwrite it with random data one time, it should be relatively securely deleted. But there are data labs which have advanced data recovery tools, and they can open the disks, and mount the platters in other disks or inspect the platters in-depth and see the magnetic polarization and stuff and are often able to recover data, even if the disk been dropped from a helicopter or from a high-floor building or got driven over by a truck. It can be very costly to recover the data, but its often possible.

The Gutmann method overwrites the data 35 times, with both patterns and random data.

Articles of interest;

* File wiping

* Shredding

* Data remanence

* Data recovery

* Computer forensics

* File deletion

* Sanitization