Might be buying a Laptop

Is price an object?

I am liking Toshiba's at the moment, have worked on a few of them lately, they were fairly priced as well, around £500. PCWorld should have some Toshiba's in.

I positively hate Acer's, they have too much crap on them, they have 2 partitions, (which is probably fine for a lot, but there might be some people who would prefer just one), and they are set up as FAT32 rather than NTFS, (which again might not be a problem to some).

With regards to your other question, yes you will be able to access the internet using wireless if it is available in any given area.

Is price an object?
Not really £500 - £650 I suppose, maybe more.

I positively hate Acer's, they have too much crap on them, they have 2 partitions, (which is probably fine for a lot, but there might be some people who would prefer just one), and they are set up as FAT32 rather than NTFS, (which again might not be a problem to some).

That doesn't sound great.

With regards to your other question, yes you will be able to access the internet using wireless if it is available in any given area.

Thanks, good news.

EDIT: Just been looking through PCWorld, they don't have any Vista Ultimate laptops.

You probably do not need one with "really good specs" for university. Depends on what you are going to use it for. But high-end laptops tend to be power hungry, warm, short battery time, heavy, bulky, loud and noisy.

If I would buy a laptop, I would look to buy one that is cheap and has long battery time.

I even heard that Acer had an ActiveX object installed that allowed any website to run code. It was like a backdoor.

I would probably look at Dell.

• Administrator

Acers tend to give you a recovery partition.

No idea why Acer always runs FAT32 on their drives, but I always change the primary partition to NTFS. Leave the recovery partition alone though.

Just go to Start > Run > cmd and type the following:

convert.exe /fs:ntfs

and let it do it's thing. You'll be amazed at the change in speed.

I would probably look at Dell.

I constantly saw Dell's in the shop. Seemed like two or three a day. I was surprised that it was very rare to see a Gateway computer in there.

Ultimate Predator, you may want to look over JMac's thread as well. :happybday:

Looking at Dell. If you get some good ones, I think battery time etc is pretty good. I would need good specs, I would want to run everything off it.

The higher spec laptops usually tend to have components that drain more energy and therefor have a shorter battery time.

Also, obviously higher spec cost more. But they also tend to have other negative side effects such as generating more heat, hence being more difficult to cool which makes more noise. Being bigger components that make the machine heavy and bulky, etc.

You probably don't need a 200 gb disk because you probably don't need that kind of storage for university stuff.

You probably don't need a GeForce 7900 Go or something like that, that mostly good for games and stuff, and gaming sucks on laptop anyways.

You can probably run "everything" even on a cheap laptop, but not latest games at highest resolutions. But you can do surfing, photoshopping, and stuff like that you need for school.

I found a couple, thoughts?

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product...b=specification

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product...b=specification

Does the ACER have a good processor?

Also, is it worth me upgrading to Vista Ultimate? Vista Home Premium is already pre-installed on the laptops, but 2 of the features on the comparison chart I really want, especially for a laptop:

Protect against hardware failure

with Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore[

Easier business networking connectivity

with Networking Center and Remote Desktop

I'm not sure sure if I need the other one though:

Better protect your data

against loss with Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption

Please help me decide. erm.png