Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate

Ultimate Predator

I hope this is the right place to post this.

Say if I get a laptop, with Vista Home Premium pre-installed. What would be the cheapest way of installing Windows Ultimate over it?

I've been looking at all the features that Ultimate has to offer, and I really want to upgrade to it, when I get my laptop. Help would be much appreciated.

Oh, and I live in the UK.

If you install Vista Home Premium, then there is a "feature" named "Windows Anytime Upgrade", if you use that tool, you can upgrade (uhm or uncripple?) your Vista Home Premium to a better version such as Vista Ultimate.

And if I got Tarun right, the Windows Anytime Upgrade tool tells you the price.

How is it done though?

Do I have to reformat?

Do I download it, or get sent a disk?

Also, would I be able to install Vista Ultimate on another PC with the same key? Primarily this is going to be for my laptop, but in the future I'll upgrade my other PC....

EDIT: Bad news. Anytime Upgrade doesn't work in the UK as of yet. I reckon it will at some point, but who knows. Any other ideas?

All versions of Windows Vista is on the same disc, and you install the one you have the license for, then you can upgrade it somehow to a better version, if you decide you want to pay for more functionality, don't know if you need reformat or anything though.

But you upgrade (uncripple?), by using the same disc you got when you bought. I think.

No, you can not legally install Vista on two PC's with the same key, because Microsoft wants you to pay for the same software more than once, so you buy a license for every PC you have. Not sure whether is technically possible though. Draconian EULA.

So if you buy a software and install it on your computer, but then you want to install it on your other computer too, then you have to buy it again. Silly, isn't it?

There is another operating system which you can install on as many computers you want without pay a dime, sweet, isn't it?

As far as I know, whether you get it pre-installed or not, you always get a disc, if not an original Windows Vista disc, then a so called "recovery disc", though, I am not sure whether the recovery disc can be used to upgrade (uncripple?) the operating system. And the recovery disc probably installs bunch of bundled junk too.

You should talk with the store to see whats up.

Archived