My Mate Just got Vista..

JMac

My Friend just purchased Vista and he is with me now and he was wondering what security programs etc you would suggest for him to run.... etc :cake:

I wish i had mine Vista looks great after a few touches with the mouse :happybday:

It is a new computer so i will get him to post a hijack this log just to see the junk on the computer :hyper:

Much security software, like antivirus software does not work yet for Windows Vista.

It looks nice, but it needs more than look nice, it needs to behave nice and be quick and efficient to use if you gonna use it day-to-day, not just play around with it for a few minutes.

AntiSpam & AntiSpyware

* CA eTrust PestPatrol Antispyware v4.4.4.81 (32-bit)

* EMSI Software a-squared Free v2.1

* FireTrust MailWasher Pro Ver. 5.3 (32-bit)

* Javacool Software SpywareBlaster 3.5.1 (32-bit/64-bit)

* Lavasoft Ad-aware SE Personal v1.06 (32-bit/64-bit)

* PC Tools Spyware Doctor v4.0.0.2620 (32-bit)

* Pyrenean eDexter v1.42 (32-bit/64-bit)

* Spybot Search & Destroy v1.4 (32-bit)

* Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 (32-bit/64-bit) - NOTE: Get the latest version, more info here

* Webroot Spy Sweeper v5.3 (32-bit)

[edit]

AntiVirus

* ALWIL Software avast! v4.7 Home Edition (32/64-bit) (28 language versions)

* ALWIL Software avast! v4.7 Professional Edition (32/64-bit) (28 language versions)

* ALWIL Software avast! Virus Cleaner Tool - version 1.0.209 (32-bit) (Czech)

* ClamWin portable v0.88.5

* ESET NOD32 v2.70.16 or newer (32/64-bit, Installs as 32-bit under Vista x64)

* Etrust Etrust EZ CA Antivirus v8.2.0.13 (32-bit)

* Grisoft AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition v7.5.441 (32-bit)

* Grisoft AVG Anti-Virus Professional Edition v7.5.441 (64-bit)

* Kaspersky AntiVirus 6.0.2.614 (32/64-bit)

* Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0.2.614 (32/64-bit)

* McAfee AntiVirus 8.5i (32-bit)

* McAfee Secturiy Advisor for IE or Firefox (32-bit)

* McAfee Stinger v2.60 (32-bit)

* Microsoft Windows Live OneCare 1.5 Beta (32-bit - NOTE: Have to open some ports to get Windows Mobile Device Center to work

* Norman Norman Virus Control

* Softwin Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 10 Build 247 (32-bit)

* Symantec Norton Antivirus 2006/2007 - NOTE: Download the latest version, more info here

* Symantec Norton Internet Security 2006/2007 - NOTE: Download the latest version, more info here

* Symantec Norton 360 Beta

* Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v10.2.224 - NOTE: Some reports of sluggish performance in Vista and crashing when loading the admininstrative interface. Disabling Microsoft Windows Defender helps solve these.

* Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition v10.2.276 - NOTE: Seems right-click "Scan For Viruses" in context menu does not show up -EDIT- I do not have this problem. Don't have this problem on my 32-bit version either.

* Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2006 v14.57 (32/64-bit)

* Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 - NOTE: Get the latest version, more info here

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Wind...patibility_List

Thnks UP..

So far we have avast, ad-aware SE, Spybot, spyware blaster...and we also got CCleaner but im unsure why cause its not fully compatible with vista yet...

He also says each time his computer starts up windows tell him there are startup items not premitted to run or something like that....

He also says each time his computer starts up windows tell him there are startup items not premitted to run or something like that....

Sounds like some new security feature or something.

Vista has some changes from XP and addition of a couple of new security features and stuff, I guess it will take some time for software to be adopted to work properly with Vista.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah... Everytime his computer boots up.. he has a program called zhotkey open up but it always says its not responding.... i think it is the multimedia keyboard driver but im not sure...

• Administrator

Yeah it is a Multimedia keyboard program that helps the keys know what to do. What he can do it get his serial number and go to the Gateway website to see if there is an update for Vista. If not, call/contact Gateway and complain.

Had a look on the website no luck.... there was one for video driver. which got installed... there also seems to be a problem with windows live messanger the latest version a box keeps popping up once he signs in... it says that he needs to install an updated adobe flash... he has already installed it before though...

Archived