Amount of RAM used in windows

New_Age

Hi,

I noticed I am having 30 Processes up and RAM usage s 311MB. I have WMP10 and IE7 running. Avast! in the backaground.

System specs.

A Socket AMD Athon Athlon Xp 2000+ 1.67GHZ; 1GB PC3200 DDR400; MoBo KM4M-V DDR333 supported Max Supported AMD Athlon Xp 3000+; 80GB Western Digital HDD 7200RPM 2MB; Microsoft Windows Xp Professional SP2

• 2 months later...

20070219190448ew8.jpg

It's gone up a bit since I posted the topic. I guess this is normal.

Using Windows Task Manager to measure page file usage is not really accurate. If you want to get a true measure of actual page file usage Doug Knox has produced a smal VB program which will show you the true amounts used. Here is a direct link to the file hxxp://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_PageFileMon.zip. I'm not sure if you allow direct liks so I changed http to hxxp. Doug knox main page is hxxp://www.dougknox.com/.

Run the VB program just before shutting down the computer and you will get a true measure of total page file actually used in that particular session. Run it at any time you are using the computer just to monitor usage. The trouble with Windows Task Manager figure is Windows uses the page file for certain read ahead operations and includes amounts it thinks it might need. If you want to read about XP page file a good article is hxxp://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm.

What's the actual question, though?

I understand everyone's paranoia about usage, but the truth is that idle RAM is wasted RAM.

This is why Vista will attempt to use as much RAM as you have in your system without leaving any free. This is not, by any means, wrong. It's quite the opposite. Windows Vista is the first Windows that has ever properly taken advantage of a system's resources. Idle RAM is wasted RAM. Say it with me.

What's the actual question, though?

I understand everyone's paranoia about usage, but the truth is that idle RAM is wasted RAM.

This is why Vista will attempt to use as much RAM as you have in your system without leaving any free. This is not, by any means, wrong. It's quite the opposite. Windows Vista is the first Windows that has ever properly taken advantage of a system's resources. Idle RAM is wasted RAM. Say it with me.

Hmmm, that's all well and good, and it actually makes sense to me :hello: .

However, is this previously 'idle' RAM released if I were to run a memory hungry program like WoW which will suck up all RAM available?

Whilst we're on the memory usage topic, is there an option within XP (and Vista) to set up 'Profiles'. I know I was able to do this in 98, and used it fairly extensively when working with 3DMax. Come in very handy as it only loaded minimal programs to leave the rest of the processing power and RAM free to run 3DMax.

The reason I'd like to use it now, is because as I stated WoW sucks up all RAM available and I'd like to set up the necessary 'Profile' to give over as much processing power/RAM as possible.

Cheers :nyah:

Archived