Emachines

trish4323

What are your opinions on e-machines, specifically the one listed below? My sister is thinking about buying one to replace her current computer, which is practically dead. She uses the computer infrequently and does so for function only, primarily for e-mail, documents, and occasional web browsing. No games or anything like that. For her purpose, is this machine a decent one? Thanks!

emachines Intel® Celeron® D Processor 356 Computer

with 17" CRT Monitor and HP Color Printer (16" viewable image size, .25 dot pitch). CRT. Windows Vista™ Home Basic, 512MB DDR2 memory, 120GB hard drive and DVD/CD-RD combo drive.

UPGRADE: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 631

Upgrade For Only $50

160GB hard drive, reads and writes dual-layer DVDs and CDs, ATI RADEON® Xpress 200 graphics and 15-in-1 media reader.

This package is $450 (with the upgrade).

Thanks!

I've had 4 computers now... 2 of which we're EMachines. (Emachines 400i3 (400mhz) and a Emachines T2341 (1.9ghz))

I personally like that both my Emachines included the RestoreCD's, and others mostly throw the CD's on the harddrive on a seperate partition. (may want to check up on if RestoreCD's are included..) But emachines usually come with pretty low end mainboards, and low amount of memory.. (mine came with 128mb DDR2100...) and 512mb may be a little low for Vista.. Not sure how TechSupport for Emachines is though..... I've never called them as i do all tech work myself lol.

But I'm sure Tarun would agree with me on saying take a look around on Gateway... I recall him returning his hard drive and they replaced it with no trouble if i remeber right.

ahh good point Zaph.

it's been a long time since i've ran the Emachines restore CD's (I hacked mine and made my own Windows CD from the RestoreCD's)... but It used to install, Microsoft Money, Bigfix(some crap program), Winamp, AOL, Compuserve, norton, and a bunch of others.

not sure how much gateway installs though.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, my sister did buy the Emachine and so far she's been happy with it and it meets her needs. She got a package including a monitor and printer. She had one frustrating moment, though, when she discovered that the printer driver was not compatible with Windows Vista (it took her a while to figure out why the printer wasn't working and unfortunately I live 600 miles away from her), and the genius salesperson at Best Buy hadn't told her to expect that although she'd been very clear to him that she had little computer knowledge and experience. Anyway, she got it straightened out and everything is fine.

Thanks again for your help. :cake:

Glad everything is working out ok for your sister with the new computer, with the exception of the printer problem that is.

I really don't think computer salesmen are all they are cracked up to be and can probably be baffled quite easily by the majority of the members of the public with a few simple questions.

glad everythings workin out, may want to ask her if she got restorecd's, if not theres usually a program to run to generate the Restore CD's/DVD's.

also glad to hear only the printer was incompatible with vista, my dad has a USB TV Tuner, a Cannon color printer, and a HP Scanner all that are incompatible, and drivers won't be made for them.

if her printers around 7 years old or younger, theres a good chance drivers will be made for it in the future.

if her printers around 7 years old or younger, theres a good chance drivers will be made for it in the future.

She got a package including a monitor and printer.

This is why I said computer salesman are not all they are cracked up to be.

She was sold a package that was not totally compatible.

That sort of thing should not happen.