Can't install XP PRO

Harry

I have a copy of XP PR0 from 2002, doesn't have SP2. I put it on and it broke some of my programs so I removed it. I just tried to install to a new motherboard and it get so far and give me an error. I bought a new copy with SP2 and it installed fine so concluded that the mobo won't accept anything but SP2. When did this start? Last computer I put together was in 2004 and had no problem.

Could be that the disk itself was dodgy or even just in need of a clean.

Actually one of the biggest problems that I have come across when installing Windows is the CD drive, although it might be a seemingly good one, for some reason when you try to do a big install of any kind it can let you down.

Thinking that myself, I tried it on another computer with an EPOX mobo, AMD Athlon XP 2000, and it installed with no problem and the DVD is new and had no problem with the new copy of XP, 98SE, and PCLinuxOS 2007. I had an Intel mobo for this core 2 duo processor and it would not take win 98SE. I e-mailed Intel and they said I could flash the BIOS if I wanted an older OS. They came out in the open and told me it would not accept XP without SP2. I don't think the manufacturer has the right to tell me what I can use this product for, that is my decision. I took the intel mobo back as it was not marked as being OS specific.

Thinking that myself, I tried it on another computer with an EPOX mobo, AMD Athlon XP 2000, and it installed with no problem and the DVD is new and had no problem with the new copy of XP, 98SE, and PCLinuxOS 2007. I had an Intel mobo for this core 2 duo processor and it would not take win 98SE. I e-mailed Intel and they said I could flash the BIOS if I wanted an older OS. They came out in the open and told me it would not accept XP without SP2. I don't think the manufacturer has the right to tell me what I can use this product for, that is my decision. I took the intel mobo back as it was not marked as being OS specific.

Maybe the Intel motherboard had some new hardware that got released after Windows XP, so it didn't work with it or something?

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the Intel motherboard had some new hardware that got released after Windows XP, so it didn't work with it or something?

Your correct there Eldmannen. That's highly possible.

Archived