CCleaner + Recuva

• Administrator

CCleaner 2.0 still has pretty much all of the bugs from the 1.x series. The only difference is they now have some UTF-8 support.

Recuva seems crash happy if it finds over 30k-50k files.

• Administrator

Registry cleaning has one benefit, and that is to clean up/fix the leftovers from incomplete/problematic uninstallers. Aside from that, there is no reason to bother the registry.

"A few hundred kilobytes of unused keys and values causes no noticeable performance impact on system operation. Even if the registry was massively bloated there would be little impact on the performance of anything other than exhaustive searches."

"Registry Cleaners can fix problems associated with traces of applications left behind due to incomplete uninstalls. So it seems that Registry junk is a Windows fact of life and that Registry cleaners will continue to have a place in the anal-sysadmin's tool chest, at least until we're all running .NET applications that store their per-user settings in XML files - and then of course we'll need XML cleaners."

Source: Registry Junk: A Windows Fact of Life

I just use jv16 PowerTools for my registry cleaning and a lot of other items related to my computer. I feel it's safe and does an excellent job.

• Administrator

I'll look into nCleaner more. Right now I highly dislike some of the practices of CCleaner, considering it has dangerous things like the Hotfix Uninstall cleaner. Prefetch cleaning and Memory Dump cleaning is very bad as well.

• 1 year later...

nCleaner is pretty good.

For data recovery, try Avira UnErase.

Quote form Avira,

Just to let you know the status, nice product too bad they discontinued it.

NOTE: The Avira recovery products "Avira UnErase Personal" and "Avira NTFS4DOS" have been discontinued and are no longer supported by Avira. You may download them for personal use only and Avira accepts no liability.