Looking For Software That Makes Your DVD Drive Region Free

It sucks that not all DVD drives are region-free. They should be region-free by default.

Region coding sucks, it doesn't help against piracy, it does however defeat legal import of DVD movies.

Example, maybe someone loves Japanese or Chinese movies, and want to import that.

Most DVD drives, you can only change the region coding a mere 5 times.

For some DVD drives, there are firmware that you can download and flash the drive with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

Try play it with VLC Media Player.

I don't know, but I heard something about that VLC "skips" the region code on the DVD disc, and plays the movie anyways regardless of region code. It does not technically remove the region code though.

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

Here you can find firmware for your DVD, that you can use to flash the device with, this will remove the region code by put in into RPC-1. Flashing the firmware of a device, can render it unusable.

I don't know, but I heard something about that VLC "skips" the region code on the DVD disc, and plays the movie anyways regardless of region code. It does not technically remove the region code though.

I see. It'll be worth a try.

Flashing the firmware of a device, can render it unusable.

Is it worth the risk then?

Surely there is some free/freeware out there like AnyDVD.

Worth the risk?

I guess it depends on for who. I don't have any DVD's, I don't use my computer to watch any DVD, so it don't give me anything, but I need the DVD drive, to burn Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) which is arriving in 6 days.

For someone who has tons of DVDs and need it region-free, its probably worth it.

DVD drives are cheap, they are like $40, and probably it will flash just fine. But it is important that you get the exact right model.

Worth the risk?

I guess it depends on for who. I don't have any DVD's, I don't use my computer to watch any DVD, so it don't give me anything, but I need the DVD drive, to burn Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) which is arriving in 6 days.

For someone who has tons of DVDs and need it region-free, its probably worth it.

DVD drives are cheap, they are like $40, and probably it will flash just fine. But it is important that you get the exact right model.

Hmm. Thing is, this is a laptop. If I screw up the drive, I'm a bit screwed. And with how tight money s at the moment, it ain't worth the risk.

Do you not know of any software? I do appreciate your help.

As I said, I heard VLC can "bypass" the region-coding, and play the DVD anyways regardless of region-coding.

Then there is flashing firmware which is risky.

Then maybe there are some virtual devices, emulation, drivers or hacks or something, but I am not aware of any.

i don't have any dvd's for other regions so i can't verify this... but i think if you use the popular "decrypter" for "dvd"'s then you can remove the region from the IFO... reburn and watch it. *cough* *cough*

i haven't had a need for it so i don't know if a software based app can do this on the fly.