Way Too Many Processes, Help

Ultimate Predator

• Administrator

How much RAM is in your system and what is your processor and it's speed?

Your services are fine, you don't have "too many". Considering it's Vista and you've got third party software installed and running, you're doing just fine.

Currently on my Windows XP install with no antivirus, I generally have 28-30 processes running. Avast seems to have about four or five. You have a couple that you probably don't need like the Modem Audio and the Java Updater.

• Administrator

So your Vista has 1GB of RAM total and is running an ATI card for the graphics. Your processor is 1.8GHz I'm assuming. Is it a dual core, quad core, and is it Intel or AMD?

Hmm. Definitely gonna do this, but got two problems, I bought form crucial befor,e but it doesn't have any suggestions once its sceanned my PC. Where can I safely buy RAM that I know will work (keeping in mind I live in the UK)?

You should be able to mix brands since the memory complies with the DDR2 standard.

But it might be preferable to purchase same brand or even same model.

It is even possible to have a system with PC5300 and PC6400 memory for example, but then all RAM will be ran at PC5300 speed.

There are software like CPU-Z and SiSoft Sandra, etc that can display detailed hardware information about your computer including free/used DIMM slots, brand/model/speed/timings of your RAM modules, etc.

With the cheap memory prices, you may even throw out the old memory modules and replace them with brand-new ones, instead of adding new memory modules to the existing ones.

Well my laptop only has two slots, so I'll just take em out and out new ones in. Any sites?

Oh, and this is my current RAM:

DDR PC2-5300

DDR PC2-5300

* Maximum Memory Capacity: 4194304 MB

* Currently Installed Memory: 1024 MB

* Available Memory Slots: N.A.

* Number of Banks: 2

* Dual Channel Support: N.A.

* CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD

* CPU Family: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 Model 8, Stepping 2

* CPU Speed: 1600 MHz

EDIT: Found the RAM, though for 4 gig, gonna cost me £60! They recommend this: http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs...9FE06FEA5CA7304

My only problem is this:

Will my system recognize the maximum upgrade?

A: Possibly

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS.

Lol, yes it does. So what should I do considering its a laptop?

Well, it is up to you.

I doubt 1 gigabyte is the max amount of memory supported, so you could probably install 3-4 gigabyte, at least 2 gigabyte, most likely more.

Either you could;

1. Take it to where you bought it, and see if they can install more RAM for you.

2. If you feel confident enough to install more RAM yourself even though it (probably) voids the warranty, you could do that. I never done that, so I don't know how difficult that would be.

3. You could switch to another operating system that uses less RAM such as Windows XP or Linux.

4. Sit back and do nothing. Maybe despite 2 gb being recommended, 1 gb would be enough.

1 - bought it online

2 - gonna have a lok at the different panles, trouble is I got a 3 year warranty that I bought.

3 - Been thinking of switching to XP for some time, my family have a normal PC with only 512 RAM with XP, and it runs very well.

4 - I'm not suffering hugely at the moment, just annoying that in some areas its slower than XP.

Also have another small problem. Windows update keeps prompting me for two updates, but every time I go to install ti fails. Every time. Also, when I shutdown my PC, it tries too install some updates, when I reboot and then eventually shutdown, it still tries to install updates

Archived