Update failing

Ultimate Predator

I see. This update thing is getting very annoying. These are the details:

Update for Windows Vista (KB943411)

Installation date: ?27/?01/?2008 14:35

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070643

Update type: Important

Install this update to improve protection in Windows Sidebar. This update enables Windows Sidebar to block certain gadgets from running. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=104989

Help and Support:

http://support.microsoft.com

You wouldn't happen to be running Comodo firewall, would you? This is a known bad combo for this update, with this exact problem. I have no idea if you are or aren't running it, so this is just a stab in the dark :D . If you are, uninstall it, install the update, and reinstall comodo (I know of no other fix as I've only seen this 3 times now, but it's all over the 'net).

Hmm, well I've tried disabling it as I have been updating. Do I really need to go so far to uninstall it?

That's been my experience, yes. Disabling a product like antivirus or firewall means the user-mode portion no longer runs and controls the kernel driver, but the kernel driver still loads. The only way to safely remove it is to actually uninstall it completely.

i thought i had an issue with Comodo Firewall in my Vista machine several months ago with updates when i first installed it. it turns out when i uninstalled Norton using their specific uninstall tool, the tool removed a crucial registry string. i had to merge the missing registry key to solve my update problems. go to your registry and look for this entry. if it is missing then we'll help you merge it back.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Folders]

"Common AppData"="C:\\ProgramData"

• Administrator

Try doing a forced update check in Comodo. I know that all versions prior to 3.0.15 had problems with Vista updating. Once you update it should resolve all of your issues.

Try doing a forced update check in Comodo. I know that all versions prior to 3.0.15 had problems with Vista updating. Once you update it should resolve all of your issues.

Doing now. Strange that when I hit check for updates nothing happens. So doing it by force now.

EDIT: Excellent, my problems are solved. Thank you.

Archived