A question: Compatibility with a part?

Brianna

Not surprisingly it performs better. Computers usually come with cheap heatsinks, because its not something they can include in the specifications. So for anything besides CPU, RAM, graphics card, HDD (which are included in the specifications on the advertisement) they can use the cheapest components. The power supply unit is often some cheap junk, most people don't know or care anyways.

Well, I don't buy my stuff at electronic stores.

I usually buy my stuff online. More choice, better prices.

Large electronic stores are usually where Joe Shmoe, and non-technical people shop.

Yeah I shop online too always, but wanted to go to a store for this part because it was urgent, it couldn't wait.

Newegg seems to have some of the best prices I have found, and sometimes they have good deals like free shipping, discounted items, or rebates.

And I always buy the parts separately and stuff because you can find any variety you want, though I don't know where my old heatsink came from, it was off a computer that I had back in 2005, it was made of pure copper but it didn't have very good features or design over all I guess, just cant keep up with todays needs.

Yeah, when it gets urgent stores work too sometimes. Like when something breaks and you need it right away, or they have an good deal on something.

If you buy parts separately, then you will pay the shipping cost every time, so it will be expensive.

So if I would buy parts to assemble a computer, I would buy them all from one online shop to avoid shipping fees, packages coming on different days, having to pickup different packages at different places at different time, having to create multiple accounts on different websites, etc.

If its all copper, it hints that it might be good. Because cheaper heatsinks are usually aluminum. Copper is more expensive than aluminum and have a higher thermal conductivity, so its used in the better and more expensive heatsinks.

Yeah well for a stock heatsink it was better than most, but not the best for sure.

Apart from that I can't get it to sit snug and tight into its native motherboard, we put my old computer back together (with some crappier parts, gave some away) and yeah, just need a crappy power supply for it. Probably have one lying around.

So far the only things I've ordered off the online stores are my case, my mouse, my microphone, and a few other random things, but if I plan to buy any bigger parts anymore I will order them, very cheap online.

Should probably just start a new random hardware talk thread or something if there isn't one, now we're just talking lol.

Mouse and keyboard might actually be good to check out at a store, so you can feel them.

Microphone is not a computer device, so if you want a good one, it might be a good idea to visit a real audio store or audio online shop.

You can use sites such as PriceRunner to find the place with the best prices.

Hehe, yeah we're drifting off-topic, but oh well. :)

Well this is a Logitech Gaming Headset to be more precise, so technically it is a computer part, but yeah I test my luck with mouses, and my keyboard I already knew what it was like, so it's ok to order it again online.

Oh, yeah microphone and headset are different.

Headset are mostly used for gaming and is alright to buy at a computer store.

But for microphones if you intend to use them to record stuff, you definitely want to get one from a audio store instead of a computer store.

I wouldn't gamble with mouse, I would definitely try it out first.

You will likely be stuck with it for a while, and ergonomy is very important.

New question!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817371004 Can this power supply power this card: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16814130082

I realize that card is getting ''Outdated'' and the 8800GT is ''Better'' now, but if this card sucks when I get it then I'll send it back and get a different one, it's not much of a problem.

I wouldn't get a 8800, when I have a 8600 which is good enough, buying a card from same series is boring, especially now since the GeForce 9-series of cards are out.

The money spent would not be anywhere near proportional to the performance gained which would be only marginal.

But yes, a 500 W power supply will be able to power a computer with a 8800GTS.

The Antec Basiq BP500U have a 6-pin PCI-Express connector. But I am not sure if the 8800GTS use a 6-pin or 8-pin connector.

It uses a 6 pin, and the box comes with a little converter so if you don't have a 6 pin it's no problem.

If this card suits me well then I'll sell off my 8600 GT, you only live once!

Well, you probably don't get a good price for your old 8600GT.

Second hand price tend to be pretty low.

And the performance you gain on the 8800 will probably be marginal.

Buying another card from the same series is boring, especially when there is a new series out.

I would wait a bit, and go for a GeForce 9-series card.

In some months AMD will come with their Radeon 4xxx series card.

• Administrator

I've heard a lot of good things about the 8600GT. I'd love to get one but I also need to upgrade my PSU too. Could stand for a larger monitor at that (currently on a 17 inch). I'll probably wait until my birthday to get it though.

8600 GT is an amazing card, runs most games on max settings without any problems at all, exempting Crysis and a few others.

Guess I just wanted more power and stepping up to any 8800 model is undoubtedly going to be more power.

And about selling it; I know that I won't get very much for it, but my brothers don't have an SLI motherboard so I can't give it to them so they can SLI it with theirs. So It's basically just going to collect dust if I don't get rid of it, at best I'd just find a new use for it later.

• Administrator

I've been using an ATI X600XT Pro 128MB PCI-E 16x card since I got my current computer. Some recent games I bought (Hitman series, Halo) and some I own (Doom 3, WoW, GW) could all benefit from an upgrade until I get my next computer in a few years.

I've heard a lot of good things about the 8600GT. I'd love to get one but I also need to upgrade my PSU too. Could stand for a larger monitor at that (currently on a 17 inch). I'll probably wait until my birthday to get it though.

Yeah, the 8600GT is a pretty nice card.

I have one, and I can tell you its alright. I play Doom 3 and Quake 4 in 1280x1024 without lag.

I don't know what power supply you have, but you probably do not need a new PSU for the 8600GT.

Despite what the PSU manufacturers and people who don't know tell you, most computers useless than 300 W.

Yeah, 17" is getting small these day, you need a bigger. I have a 19" CRT, but I want a 22+ LCD.

You might want to buy a 9600 instead of a 8600 though...

8600 GT is an amazing card, runs most games on max settings without any problems at all, exempting Crysis and a few others.

Guess I just wanted more power and stepping up to any 8800 model is undoubtedly going to be more power.

And about selling it; I know that I won't get very much for it, but my brothers don't have an SLI motherboard so I can't give it to them so they can SLI it with theirs. So It's basically just going to collect dust if I don't get rid of it, at best I'd just find a new use for it later.

Yeah, as you said 8600 is great and runs most games at max settings without any problems at all.

So no need to switch to an 8800. :)

Wait a while and go for the 9600, 9800, Radeon 4xxx or later cards.

• Administrator

When I do the upgrade, it'll just be something to last me a few years. I've already decided I want a 64 bit processor for my next computer. This one currently has a 300W PSU and I know i need at least a 350W for the 8600GT.

Yeah, pretty much all CPU's nowadays are 64-bit, so your new computer will definitely have a 64-bit processor.

I used to run my 8600GT, 4 sticks of RAM, 2 hard disks on a 350 W power supply. For me 350 W was enough.

You probably could run a 8600GT on your 300 W power supply.

How much will a 300w power supply run?

* http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3075

You can run an energy hungry Pentium 4 "Prescott" with an energy hungry graphics card on a 300 W power supply.

Most computers use less than 200 W.

If you want to buy a new PSU, then the Enermac Modu82+ 625 is likely the most silent fan-cooled PSU in the planet. Also have excellent performance.

Else Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, etc have great power supplies too. Seasonic is like the king in the PSU market.

Corsair and Cooltek make some great power supplies too. Don't buy Q-Tec.

Where do I go to change fan speeds for things like video cards or system fans? I heard of people doing it but I have no idea how to.

Also on my 8600 GT I used to be able to right click the desktop and go ''Properties > Settings > Advanced 8600 GT tab > Advanced settings on that, and I could monitor the cards temperature, change AA settings from 2X 4X 8X etc and all the other good things, now I can't do that on my 8800, it makes me go to some craptastic Control Panel thing where I can't do anything, it says you can ''Change Settings'' in it (And I'm in advanced view) but I can't do specific things, like I said it's craptastic.

The 8600 Also had that panel, but I didn't use it, just used the method I mentioned above, so how do I get that back?

I don't know how to change video card fan and system fans.

I know that some people change fan speed by modding to provide less power to the fans. Also some people use "fan controllers".

You happy with your 8800?

How many more FPS do you got?

You have any less lags than before?

Was it worth it?

I would have waited for a next-gen card. :)

I don't know how you get that settings thing. Be sure you use the latest device drivers.

Windows XP (32-bit): 169.21

Windows XP (64-bit), Windows Vista: 174.16

In your Control Panel, you probably have a Nvidia applet, where you can check temperature and change AA settings.

Not much of an upgrade, runs CoD with X4 AA better though, and the defaulted settings were all set to max opposed to the 8600, FPS increase in Guild Wars is 0, 8600 performs as good as an 8800, but Guild Wars is nearly a 3 year old game now and even the old 7 series of Nvidia cards would dominate that game, so yeah.

Gonna test more games later and see what I come up with, but in Call of Duty 4 I get better performance for sure.

Card Idles at about 60-65C, under load it gets 70C as far as I've seen. 8600 would idle at 50C, under load it got 60C, but that is only expected as the cards are much different in respects.

Being worth it, not really, probably gonna use the ''Step-Up'' program to trade it in for the 512MB 8800GT, cause this card has a huge cooler that takes up too much room, and 512 > 320.

___

Update: Runs crysis with all settings on ''High'' and the Shader Quality on Medium and doesn't lag much, this is all without X4 AA, starts lagging with high quality Shaders so I'm not even gonna try any AA.