Driver Install | shows Fatal Error during Installation

Rollerr

Everything was working fine till last week and then this problem crops up.

Trying to install: driver for Motorola Q9H Smartphone USB Modem

Like I said everything worked fine without a problem.

Last week when I connected the Smartphone via USB to my laptop with XPProSP2, the laptop runs through the |New Hardware Wizard| and ends with an error message:

Cannot Install this hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware:

SmartPhone Wireless USB Modem

An error occurred during the installation of this hardware.

Fatal Error during installation

I tried using the supplied CD. Same error message

I tried using a downloaded driver file. Same error message.

I then try it on another XPProSP2 laptop. Works fine. Laptop recognises the Smartphone, installed drivers and hardware installed and working properly!!!

What do I do?

I can not give you a sure answer.

But, it seems you are trying to install a device driver.

From your profile you indicate that you use the x64 edition of Windows XP.

Many device drivers are not compatible with x64, that may be it.

You beat me to posting! I was going to add an update.

Jumping through the hoops, it seems to boil down to the following error connected with the ATT/Cingular communication manager software used to allow the Smartphone to talk to ATT network.

I could not uninstall the ATT Communication Manager in order to install the latest version of the software. Also the one on my laptop related to another USB Modem from Sierra Wireless on ATT.

Latest Error message is:

ERROR 1721:

There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnell or package vendor.

Action: FilterDriver_Uninstal.1A63B4C7_A86D_4C49_B64C_21BF146D813F.

Location: C:\Program Files\Sierra Wireless\TRU-Install\Drivers\Drt Int.exe command -r

I tried to do a Reregister in safe mode. Didnt really get anywhere.

When I tried to do a sfc - systems file checker I get an error saying that RPC server not found - or something like that.

Hope this makes it easier rather than convoluted!

Have you tried reinstalling over the old version and then uninstalling?

Yes.

Same ERROR 1721 is thrown up. :)

I also used the MS Windows Installer CleanUP Utility. That cleaned out the old Communcation manager and allowed me to cleanly install the new communication manager.

But having done that, rebooted and then connected the Smartphone in Modem mode....back to the Fatal Error during installation...

grrr.png

• Administrator

Try using the Windows Installer Cleanup to remove it again if you cannot through Add/Remove Programs, then run CCleaner and the Issues part of CCleaner after rebooting?

Try using the Windows Installer Cleanup to remove it again if you cannot through Add/Remove Programs, then run CCleaner and the Issues part of CCleaner after rebooting?

Did the Installer cleanup and CCleaner, as you suggested.

Rebooted. Plugged in Smartphone. Back to Fatal Error.

just popping in but.. a few things immediately pop into my mind..

"Location: C:\Program Files\Sierra Wireless\TRU-Install\Drivers\Drt Int.exe command -r"

does that file "Drt Int.exe" exist?

"When I tried to do a sfc - systems file checker I get an error saying that RPC server not found - or something like that."

Did you use nLite or any other tool to remove services from your CD? (the RPC Service is critical for Windows XP)

Any differences between your 2 computers? (Different versions, Different Install Media, Different Processors (32bit vs. 64bit), etc..)

just popping in but.. a few things immediately pop into my mind..

"Location: C:\Program Files\Sierra Wireless\TRU-Install\Drivers\Drt Int.exe command -r"

does that file "Drt Int.exe" exist?

"When I tried to do a sfc - systems file checker I get an error saying that RPC server not found - or something like that."

Did you use nLite or any other tool to remove services from your CD? (the RPC Service is critical for Windows XP)

Any differences between your 2 computers? (Different versions, Different Install Media, Different Processors (32bit vs. 64bit), etc..)

DrtInt does exist.

nLite...no have not used anything to remove services.

computers: they are different. older d505 latitude, older processors -

the one i am having the issue on is a newer Dell Vostro Dual Core. Having said that, till a couple of weeks ago, the Smartphone worked absolutely fine on this Vostro.

Archived