Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron" is soon coming...

Eldmannen

804countdown_03days.jpg

The 24'th of April comes Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron", which is a LTS release (Long Time Support).

Whats new in Ubuntu 8.04?

* Xorg 7.3 (better autoconfiguration)

* Linux kernel 2.6.24 (dynticks powersaving, new process scheduler)

* GNOME 2.22 (new app Cheese (webcam app that can apply effects)).

* PulseAudio (new audio system)

* PolicyKit (security stuff)

* Firefox 3 Beta 4

* Transmission (new BitTorrent client)

* Vinagre (VNC remote desktop)

* Brasero (CD/DVD burning software)

* World Clock Applet (I use this to add clock for New York, Tokyo, Madrid, etc to know time of friends in online games)

* Virtualization

* ActiveDirectory integration

* iSCSI support

* Firewall (UFW is a easy frontend to iptables)

* Memory Protection

* Wubi (install Ubuntu from inside Windows, does not mess with partitions or bootloader)

Man. Well, I keep saying it, and it will be done, I look forward to the day I use it.

I haven't been able to hold my self back. That is why I have been using 8.04 alpha and beta.

It is currently in beta state. I've used it since alpha 4.

As soon as 8.04 final gets released, I will be looking forward to 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex". :hmm:

I am using 8.04 "Hardy Heron" (beta) as my primary operating system. It is what I use almost exclusively most of the time.

I still have Windows XP installed on the other disk, but I rarely use it.

There are definitely still room for improvement, but overall, I like it.

Meh. All major capitalism is heartless. Same with MS. Linux alongside all open-source stuff are great, and are owed to being made as we have a free internet.

Yes, almost all monopolies are bad and abusive.

Much large companies are bad.

IBM, Sun Microsystems, Google are all large companies who are pretty "good" though.

Yes, Unix, Linux and open source play a big role in the history of the Internet.

Thank god Microsoft did not create the Internet. Thank god IP, TCP, UDP, ICMP, IGMP, HTTP, FTP, etc are not proprietary protocols.

Meh. All major capitalism is heartless. Same with MS. Linux alongside all open-source stuff are great, and are owed to being made as we have a free internet.

IBM, Sun Microsystems, Google are all large companies who are pretty "good" though.

Yes, Unix, Linux and open source play a big role in the history of the Internet.

Thank god Microsoft did not create the Internet. Thank god IP, TCP, UDP, ICMP, IGMP, HTTP, FTP, etc are not proprietary protocols.

Sun, but Google and IBM? Though I would almost classify myself as a bit of a commie, Google allowed China to filter searches. That ain't good.

Yes. You gotta love the internet.

Man. Well, I keep saying it, and it will be done, I look forward to the day I use it.

I haven't been able to hold my self back. That is why I have been using 8.04 alpha and beta.

It is currently in beta state. I've used it since alpha 4.

As soon as 8.04 final gets released, I will be looking forward to 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex". :hmm:

I am using 8.04 "Hardy Heron" (beta) as my primary operating system. It is what I use almost exclusively most of the time.

I still have Windows XP installed on the other disk, but I rarely use it.

There are definitely still room for improvement, but overall, I like it.

All I got to do is get a backup Vista disk, and a s*** load of disks to backup my data on, and I'll give it a shot. Oh, and lots of time in case somehting goes wrong, which I am in severe lack of at the moment.

Sun, but Google and IBM? Though I would almost classify myself as a bit of a commie, Google allowed China to filter searches. That ain't good.

Yes. You gotta love the internet.

Hmm, true. But Google was required todo so in order to enter China, they said it was better to enter China, than not to.

Now it is arguable whether it is true that "it was better to enter China, than not to". Maybe it is, maybe is not. Still, Google has done a lot of good and so has IBM.

Google host "Google Summer of Code" where they give $5000 to students who participate by contributing to open source software.

They got the FCC to open the wireless spectrum in USA.

GTalk uses open-source standard protocols such as Jabber/XMPP.

Google internally uses Linux on their servers. They use "Goobuntu" (an internal derivative of Ubuntu) on their desktop computers.

They hired CodeWeavers to implement support for Photoshop in Wine (open source software). They contributed many patches to Wine.

They have Google Highly Open Participation Contest where they get young people into participating in open source.

Google Pack comes with Mozilla Firefox.

They threw the KDE4 launch party at the Googleplex (company headquarters).

Google has been a strong ally and force in open source.

IBM have a shady past, but are helping much too.

• Linux / FOSS friendly. Open source is a key thing that IBM sells, and it employs a lot of people to work on open source. Its FOSS software includes Eclipse.
  • A member of the Open Invention Network (OIN).
  • Corporate patron of the Free Software Foundation (FSF).
  • Platinum Member of The Linux Foundation.
  • Member of the OASIS Foundation.

Plus they blasted those as***** SCO patent trolls into bankruptcy.

Now Sun is a strong ally.

• The UltraSPARC T1 and T2 processor are open design under the GNU GPL.
  • OpenOffice.org is the Sun supported open source project derived from StarOffice.
  • Release Java under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
  • OpenSolaris is now under an open source license.
  • Open Firmware is now under an open oource license (BSD).
  • Donated three Sun Fire V20z servers to the CentOS Linux distribution. (2006)
  • Corporate patron of the Free Software Foundation (FSF).
  • Silver Member of The Linux Foundation.
  • Member of the OASIS Foundation.
  • Released many open source software, like OpenSSO, Squawk, GlassFish, OpenDS, OpenSolaris, NetBeans, Lustre, Sun Grid Engine, xVM.

http://vendors.bluwiki.org/

All I got to do is get a backup Vista disk, and a s*** load of disks to backup my data on, and I'll give it a shot. Oh, and lots of time in case somehting goes wrong, which I am in severe lack of at the moment.

You can buy another hard disk.

500gb disks have pretty good prices.

I have two disks. One with Ubuntu, one with Windows.

I unplugged my Windows disk when I installed Ubuntu, to be sure it wouldn't write the boatloader to the wrong disk.

I have a laptop? Could get an external one though. Thats a good idea. Have two hard drive, one for Ubuntu. Just I would find it annoying to have another hard drive to caryr around alongside my laptop. I know when I finish uni, I'll get a pre-installed Dell laptop. Its just difficult at the moment.

I cna't help but also cynically wonder, how come so many people, and business' pour money into this, when they get nothing back?

Oh, and holy cow: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/hardy/beta#h...8fbd131301c694c

Does this mean I cna sue that to install Ubuntu? If so, it looks easy.

EDIT: Doesn't look like it, but maybe in the future I can; http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php That woukd be great, test, then use that to install ubuntu, then in the future, if I could use Ubuntu without Vista, uninstall Vista. Awesome.

Wow, veyr interesting. Big companies can be good. Still, as much as they donate and help, they're still making tonnes of money. Though at least with Google its more ad based, which isn't much of a problem for me, IBM is hardware, and Sun?

Yes, big companies can do good, but often they get greedy and ruthless and use dirty and "unfair business practices", vendor lock-in, litigate instead of innovate, etc.

Nothing wrong with making tonnes of money.

Sun makes hardware (Sun UltraSPARC CPU, servers, workstations, etc) and software (Solaris, etc).

http://www.sun.com/products/index.jsp

I have a laptop? Could get an external one though. Thats a good idea. Have two hard drive, one for Ubuntu. Just I would find it annoying to have another hard drive to caryr around alongside my laptop. I know when I finish uni, I'll get a pre-installed Dell laptop. Its just difficult at the moment.

I cna't help but also cynically wonder, how come so many people, and business' pour money into this, when they get nothing back?

Oh, and holy cow: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/hardy/beta#h...8fbd131301c694c

Does this mean I cna sue that to install Ubuntu? If so, it looks easy.

EDIT: Doesn't look like it, but maybe in the future I can; http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php That woukd be great, test, then use that to install ubuntu, then in the future, if I could use Ubuntu without Vista, uninstall Vista. Awesome.

For people, it is much better to donate money to free open source software rather than to pay for closed-source proprietary software.

For companies, they can save big money by using Linux.

Google has like 100.000 servers, they run it for free with Linux and other free open source software.

If they would have used proprietary software, it would cost a lot.

Government and schools can save taxpayers money. So there are many reason to pour money into this.

There are Linux companies who do make money. You can buy support contracts for Ubuntu from Canonical.

MySQL AB's main product was MySQL, a free open source database. They had support contracts and stuff, Sun bought the company for $1 billion.

There are many benefits of free open source software such as vendor-independence, possibility of in-house customization and improvement, etc that makes it attractive.

Yes, it should be possible to use Wubi to install Ubuntu without partition the disk or write a bootloader.

It just installs a file, then mounts it as a file system and add a new entry to boot.ini

I didn't realise that open-source is such a massive, massive thing. Support contracts?

Wubi says though currently you can't install it: A full installation within a dedicated partition is still recommended, but Wubi is a great way to try Ubuntu for a few days and weeks before committing dedicated disk resources. And on the FAQ, Wubi says this option is coming in the future. So, I can install it iwhtin Windows, but what I mean is trying to install it properly on a seperate partition, a full installation, is going to use the same installer, whcih I get confused doing:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyHeron/Beta?act...arget=umenu.png[

Still, definitely going to get this edition and install it within Windows.

Ah, I see, didn't relase about Sun.

Meh, I don't think a few individuals should have the right to make vats sums of money when it can be shared out.

If someone is talented and put a lot of dedication into his work, and work hard then he deserve to make good with money too.

If someone make something half-assed he shouldn't get same money as someone who work hard and dedicated but honest.

Money motivate people. People who work hard (and honest) deserve money.

I didn't realise that open-source is such a massive, massive thing. Support contracts?

Yes, when companies buy something, they want to have a tech support line to call.

Red Hat, Novell and Canonical make good money.

IBM, Dell, HP, etc sell Linux servers.

Wubi says though currently you can't install it: A full installation within a dedicated partition is still recommended, but Wubi is a great way to try Ubuntu for a few days and weeks before committing dedicated disk resources. And on the FAQ, Wubi says this option is coming in the future. So, I can install it iwhtin Windows, but what I mean is trying to install it properly on a seperate partition, a full installation, is going to use the same installer, whcih I get confused doing:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardyHeron/Beta?act...arget=umenu.png[

Still, definitely going to get this edition and install it within Windows.

Oh, I have never used Wubi.

I guess Wubi is supposed to be able to install a file, then it mounts that file as if it were a disk. Kinda like you mount an ISO file or something. A loop mount.

Sorry for the double-post.

Who is to say whetehr a person deserves so much. Even if Bill Gates was completely honest and thought of everything himself, he doensät deserve o have that much money, no one does considering the greater good that could be done if some of his money was shared.

But yeah, Wubi will help, though I look forward to doing a full install. If only I could know for sure that Ubuntu would install to one partition that I have alreayd made for it, I would have no worries.

Guy 1 sits on his couch, and watch TV all day, and don't do anything. He spent his time smoking weed while skipping school.

Guy 2 is a dedicated guy who works hard, he works 9 hours everyday. He spent his time studying hard and got a good education.

Doesn't guy 2 deserve more than guy 1?

Guy 1 don't contribute to society, he don't work so he don't pay taxes.

Guy 2 works hard, so he makes lots of money. Since he makes lots of money, he also pays lots of taxes. Therefor he contributes to society.

--

Another example;

Guy 1 works at an easy job and earns $15,000.

Guy 2 works at an difficult job and earns $25,000.

Both of them pay 30% of their income in taxes.

They both pay the same amount of what they have in taxes, so its fair.

--

If someone worked hard, and gets money. Then he earned the money. If he earned it, then he deserve it.

Yes, there could be a greater good if it was shared. If he would share it, that would indeed be very nice of him.

I would encourage him to share it. But it would be wrong to force him to share it, that would be stealing from him.

If someone had $100 billion, and didn't share anything, then I would think hes cheap, greedy and bad. But I wouldn't want him to have share it against his will.

The guy pays taxes on his income, so hes sharing that way anyways...

When I say force to share I mean high taxes for rich people. Of course Guy 2 deserves more, and he woud get more. But still the ultra rich man would get highly taxed for public transport, education etc.

Well, if everyone pays 30% of their income (as taxes) then its fair, because they all have to pay same by proportion.

The money they pay stay in direct proportion to their income.

I don't agree. Rich people don't need millions of pounds or dollars, the greater good would be to cut it a lot and share it out via taxes. Poorer pepole should have less taxes as it is proportionate to their income.

Also, as you were explaining how that Ubuntu has loads of support primarily from individuals, but also then of companies, does the same kind of process apply to other big FLOSS software, such as Firefox? I just can't get my head round people having careers in making Ubuntu and Firefox, when they don't charge money for them. Where is the income?

Another question about Ubuntu. Can I import my Hotmail emails into its email client?

Out of interest, where can you find information about Ubuntu future betas, just so I can see what future plans are?

Individuals can get support from the Ubuntu community at forums, mailing lists, wiki, documentation, chat channels, local LUG's (Linux User Groups), etc.

Example, you can come to #ubuntu on irc.freenode.net and get help, and help others.

Now companies may not want to rely on community support, and rather have a commercial support contract. So they can turn to Canonical to purchase commercial support.

Firefox comes with Ubuntu, and Canonical provides support for Firefox and many other software that comes with Ubuntu too.

The same process applies to some other FLOSS software too. Example, MySQL.

FLOSS can use other income sources too. In Firefox, there is a quicksearch bar in the upper-right corner, which includes the Google search engine. Google pays lots of money for this. Yahoo, eBay, etc too.

Mozilla have full-time employees. So does Canonical.

Both clients support POP3 and IMAP mail protocols, so Hotmail should work.

Ubuntu comes with Evolution, but you can install Mozilla Thunderbird, if you happen to like that better.

Hotmail sucks, it got lots of ads on it. I use GMail which offers 6,5 gb accounts with advanced features such as starring, searching, filtering, spam-filter, etc.

Yes, and sometimes for custom features.

Example, a company uses an FOSS software, there is a feature which they need, but miss.

So they contact the developer, and offer him money to implement that specific feature.

Or they hire some developers to implement it on their own. If lucky they contribute back the patches upstream so the rest of us can enjoy it too.

Other companies have some FLOSS software in their portfolio to attract customers, then have have an proprietary version with more features, that they use to upsell people to. Example, Innotek had "VirtualBox OSE" (Open Source Edition), then another proprietary edition with couple more features.