Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron" is soon coming...

Eldmannen

Yes, for small bits of software it is usually the community only.

Canonical might provide support for some small software too for Ubuntu customers, if its part of Ubuntu.

There are many very large open source software. I am not sure which is the largest.

But Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP and Mozilla Firefox are very popular.

• 3 weeks later...

well getting back to this OS Linuix it is sharp. someday ill get this thing going but as an average pc user ill just have to learn more first but this is one sweet looking format. Microsoft is missing the boat, and the train is leaving the station.

well getting back to this OS Linuix it is sharp. someday ill get this thing going but as an average pc user ill just have to learn more first but this is one sweet looking format. Microsoft is missing the boat, and the train is leaving the station.

I am using Ubuntu as my primary operating system. I still have Windows XP on the computer, but I don't really use it anymore. It is getting easier and better by every release. Ubuntu 8.04 is shipping in just two days.

You can learn more here;

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(Linux_distribution)

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

* http://www.linux.com/whatislinux/119700

* http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu

In your bookstore, you can find books about Linux and Ubuntu. There might be a local LUG (Linux User Group) near where you live.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I installed Ubuntu on my server and right away it's having issues. My Linksys WMP54g card will not connect to my router, despite entering the proper information numerous times (router is running Tomato and the security is WPA / WPA2 Personal + TKIP / AES). Even a local free wireless signal (no encryption or anything) that I barely get will not work.

Yet with any Windows I have ever run on that computer, I simply put in the little driver and it works instantly with my router, even with WPA2.

Yeah, I had UbrokeU on my system for 3 days.

I don't like programs that don't recognise that I'm using dual 24" monitors and that is restricted to a screen resolution of 1024x760.

Pretty poor setup if you can't use it straight out of the box (so to speak) without having to scour the web looking for patches/updates/extensions/etc to make it behave intuitively like MS does.

When I went over to dual monitors, took me all of 2 minutes to configure them and the screen resolution wasn't an issue either as it recognised (MS that is) what video card I was using immediately, yet with UuselessU it's an issue straight out.

Looks like I'm staying with MS for the long haul. All this opensource might be nice for some, but if it means you have to jump through burning hoops of fire in my birthday suit just to set it up ---- well I'm not going to waste my time.

Cheers :wave:

I installed Ubuntu on my server and right away it's having issues. My Linksys WMP54g card will not connect to my router, despite entering the proper information numerous times (router is running Tomato and the security is WPA / WPA2 Personal + TKIP / AES). Even a local free wireless signal (no encryption or anything) that I barely get will not work.

Yet with any Windows I have ever run on that computer, I simply put in the little driver and it works instantly with my router, even with WPA2.

While wireless networking works, its one of Linux weak spots.

Mostly because vendors refuse to work with Linux. They don't make device drivers, nor do they publish specifications for the hardware that is needed for developers to make their own device drivers.

Dell have requested from manufacturers to make open source device drivers or publish specifications.

Hopefully in the future, vendors will cooperate more.

In the graphics field it has progressed that way with Intel, AMD and most recently VIA have all published open source device drivers or open specifications. Hopefully the wireless network vendors will move in that direction too.

I don't like programs that don't recognise that I'm using dual 24" monitors and that is restricted to a screen resolution of 1024x760.

Pretty poor setup if you can't use it straight out of the box (so to speak) without having to scour the web looking for patches/updates/extensions/etc to make it behave intuitively like MS does.

When I went over to dual monitors, took me all of 2 minutes to configure them and the screen resolution wasn't an issue either as it recognised (MS that is) what video card I was using immediately, yet with UuselessU it's an issue straight out.

Looks like I'm staying with MS for the long haul. All this opensource might be nice for some, but if it means you have to jump through burning hoops of fire in my birthday suit just to set it up ---- well I'm not going to waste my time.

It is possible to set up dual-screen setup by manually configuring the Xorg.conf configuration file (no patches/updates/extensions).

I agree with you that it should be easier though, its a shame it isn't.

Xorg needs some work, but it has been way worse in the past some years ago. There is also a nasty EDID bug which causes problems for some people (me included) which makes it unable to auto-detect the abilities of the monitor which results in that you cant use high resolutions without manually editing the configuration file.

The upcoming Ubuntu 8.10 (due in October) will come with Xorg 7.4, hopefully it has improved by then.

Ubuntu 8.04 works great for me on my computer though.

Is wireless that difficult for Ubuntu? I really hope not.

I am not sure, since I've never set one up.

But I guess its more difficult than wired network.

I guess it depends some on the network card.

I've heard that Atmel, Atheros, Ralink and Realtek are known to work well.

I've heard that Broadcom are known to be problematic.

Edit; Found a link;

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of...ireless_drivers

It is possible to set up dual-screen setup by manually configuring the Xorg.conf configuration file (no patches/updates/extensions).

I agree with you that it should be easier though, its a shame it isn't.

Xorg needs some work, but it has been way worse in the past some years ago. There is also a nasty EDID bug which causes problems for some people (me included) which makes it unable to auto-detect the abilities of the monitor which results in that you cant use high resolutions without manually editing the configuration file.

The upcoming Ubuntu 8.10 (due in October) will come with Xorg 7.4, hopefully it has improved by then.

Ubuntu 8.04 works great for me on my computer though.

Hmmm, okay I'll wait till 8.04 hits the net and give it another shot then. But again, if the monitor problem hasn't been fixed I'm not going to bother.

Cheers :D

Hmmm, okay I'll wait till 8.04 hits the net and give it another shot then. But again, if the monitor problem hasn't been fixed I'm not going to bother.

Which version was the one you tested?

I am not sure if 8.04 sets up an dual-monitor configuration automatically or if its needs to be set up manually and how difficult it is.

As far as I am aware, 8.04 still contains the EDID bug which prevents auto-detection of monitor capabilities which makes unable to know what resolutions to use.

You might want to try 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) in October though.

Which version was the one you tested?

I am not sure if 8.04 sets up an dual-monitor configuration automatically or if its needs to be set up manually and how difficult it is.

As far as I am aware, 8.04 still contains the EDID bug which prevents auto-detection of monitor capabilities which makes unable to know what resolutions to use.

You might want to try 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) in October though.

Blah, I was using 8.04 dizzy.png

Might see in October whether this issue has been fixed.

Cheers :D

WHOO HOO, I finally received my CD Ubuntu today. A big thanks goes out to Eldmanen you sir are a good guy for passing me the info on how to get this beautiful OS.