Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
greenknight

Can't reset WMI/WBEM

Recommended Posts

If I try to run the Reset WMI/WBEM tool in DAF, it fails to work, with this error message

Access violation at address 77C0155D in module 'version.dll'. Read of address 00000004.
What's the deal with that? I tried Reinstall WMI/WBEM, that ran ok - but I still get the error if I run the Reset tool.

The problem I was hoping this might help with is occasional CPU spikes from an svchost process, causing annoying lag. Process Explorer shows WMI as one of the services running there, so I thought it worth a shot - couldn't hurt, anyway. No idea if it's gonna help or not, any other ideas for addressing that problem would be appreciated, as well. I've pretty well ruled out malware, run all kinds of scans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't yet installed SP3. Have tried sfc/scannow, didn't help (can't do it again right now, CD drive quit reading discs - may just need cleaning, I hope). Do you think SP3 might help (with either problem)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea how to even tell if it's working right. I don't use it for anything, it's way over my head. I was just taking the shotgun approach to try to fix some glitches I couldn't pinpoint the source of, this is the one tool in DAF that wouldn't run.

I first ran into this quite a while ago, but the problems I was having then cleared up anyway, so I didn't bother looking into it. The computer's gotten glitchy again, so I'm trying whatever might conceivably help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a bug in Dial-a-fix. My bad!

Can't remember what file it is (I think it's cmdevtgprov.dll - if this is true you can move that file out of WBEM so Dial-a-fix doesn't see it and it might stop crashing).

Can't tell you when it'll be fixed, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I might give that a try - or not. Glad to find out this wasn't a sign of problems with the computer, anyway! The CPU spiking seems to have fixed itself somehow, so there's less reason to mess with it now.

Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

<edit> Did a quick search, can't find any cmdevtgprov.dll. Nothing close to that in the wbem folder that I can see, either. Oh well, no worries, not really important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No dice; if I move cimwin32.dll from wbem, it just reappears there. Stopping WMI service didn't help, nor did first moving cimwin32.dll out of the service pack files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Lovs2look

No dice; if I move cimwin32.dll from wbem, it just reappears there. Stopping WMI service didn't help, nor did first moving cimwin32.dll out of the service pack files.

Please keep up the fault finding as I too am experiencing errors with WMI, and running DAF failed to fix them (although I got no such error message)

I'm running Spiceworks on my small LAN and 2 PCs keep failing to be recognised - WMI seems to be the culprit. I've run the MS tool to check WMI and it tells me that some components are missing blah blah. So i tried DAF and now it's failing too. Boy!

Please find-a-fix soon for XP SP2!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got SP3 installed. No more svchost CPU spikes; I had also been seeing spikes from the AVG resident shield service, at startup and periodically during the session, not getting those anymore either. :gold:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still get a svchost CPU spike on start up from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's Protection Module even with SP3. It apparently is on their end and the developer of MBAM is already aware of this and will have that spike in power corrected soon , probably in a release in the next 2 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems I was wrong about the 100% CPU spikes from avgrsx.exe being gone - they just took the day off. Trying another theory on that: since it happens often when Java applets are running, I'm thinking it might be a problem with the JRE6 update 10 beta build I've been using for compatibility with Firefox 3.1 nightly test builds (Minefield 3.1a2pre, currently). Gone back to JRE6 update 7, to see if that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...