Featured Windows Download on Lifehacker!

• Administrator

Windows only: Free application Anti-Malware Tookit automatically downloads popular anti-malware applications to your computer. In essence the application is a specialized downloader that retrieves the latest and greatest releases of popular anti-malware apps like CCleaner, Spybot S&D, and Hijack This. You can selectively choose which apps you want downloaded and which you don't, so you can stick to the tried-and-true options and avoid the ones you're not sure of - perfect for when you've left your PC rescue kit at home and are working tech support for the family.

In addition to the anti-malware apps, the app also automatically grabs "recommended" apps like Firefox, Thunderbird, and avast antivirus (ostensibly to help the user keep a clean PC next time around), as well as previously mentioned utilities like Process Explorer and Unlocker. It'd be nice to see more options from our best antivirus list and a few more great Windows maintenance tools, but as is it's a good start. Anti-Malware Toolkit is freeware, requires .NET 2.0. It's not one you'll use every day, but it's a lot better than hunting down apps one-by-one on a malware-ridden PC.

Link: Lifehacker

• Administrator

I did add Avira AntiVir to the list, though it is unchecked (as is avast).

I'll be going over their list for things to add. JKDefrag is nice but the lack of a GUI might intimidate users. Will most likely add AusLogics Disk Defrag. Revo is noce, though I don't see it being super essential. I do use it but only to see the leftovers.

I was totally unaware of that fact then its definitely not a good pick. Also I must agree with you on DisKeeper it is quite impressive. I have the Home Edition and its worth the cost to me anyway.

I'll be going over their list for things to add. JKDefrag is nice but the lack of a GUI might intimidate users. Will most likely add AusLogics Disk Defrag. Revo is noce, though I don't see it being super essential. I do use it but only to see the leftovers.

Why don't you get the version with GUI?

I've been using Auslogics for about 4 months now in the field on client PCs and I *really* like it. I used to use Diskeeper Lite but the nag screen confused people.

Auslogics is incredibly simple. Just click Next and that's it. It's fast too.

BTW, thanks for the great tool! I found it on Technibble.