Ubuntu issues security patch for kernel flaw

Tarun

• Administrator

Ubuntu today became the latest Linux vendor to patch a vulnerability in the open source operating system's kernel that could have left the door open for hackers to find their way into users' machines.

In an email sent overnight, the Linux vendor warned users to update all machines running recent versions of Ubuntu, ranging from 6.06, which was released back in mid-2006, to version 8.04, which came out earlier this year. The problem also applied to other versions of Ubuntu such as Kubuntu, Edubuntu and Xubuntu.

"It was discovered that there were multiple NULL-pointed function de-references in the Linux kernel terminal handling code," wrote Ubuntu administrators in the email. "A local attacker could exploit this to execute arbitrary code as root, or crash the system, leading to a denial of service."

The email also detailed a number of other bugs which could be exploited by an attacker who already had some level of access to a computer running Ubuntu.

A number of other Linux vendors including Novell have recently released similar patches to address the problems.

Source: ZDNet Australia

Link: Lunarsoft

Well,well,well so it begins one little chip in the armor. The door is now open even Linux is being subjected to attacks. I knew it would only be a matter of time. I really believe nobody should be surprised by this event. This is the OS that all the hackers dream of defeating. If they beat the best OS out there then its a feather in their caps.

Well,well,well so it begins one little chip in the armor. The door is now open even Linux is being subjected to attacks. I knew it would only be a matter of time. I really believe nobody should be surprised by this event. This is the OS that all the hackers dream of defeating. If they beat the best OS out there then its a feather in their caps.

Actually, this isn't the first time or last time a security flaw is discovered in Linux. It exists in all software.

This doesn't suddenly make Linux any less secure. It gets patched and life goes on.

Actually, this isn't the first time or last time a security flaw is discovered in Linux. It exists in all software.

This doesn't suddenly make Linux any less secure. It gets patched and life goes on.

Exactly. I wasn't hugely impressed with 8.04 (too much work just to try and connect via my wired internet), but I am looking forward to 8.10, which should be easier, and by which time I will be at uni and using wireless, so it won't matter anyways. Though I think its going to take a long while before I'm used to it.

• Administrator

Though wireless was a nightmare on Ubuntu too. I personally do not see Linux being a threat to Windows for a long, long time. They need to get their act together and stop making 500+ different distros before they can even think to compete.

Exactly. I wasn't hugely impressed with 8.04 (too much work just to try and connect via my wired internet), but I am looking forward to 8.10, which should be easier, and by which time I will be at uni and using wireless, so it won't matter anyways. Though I think its going to take a long while before I'm used to it.

Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" (due to be released in October 30th) includes NetworkManager Applet 0.7.0, a new version which will make wireless networking easier.

Kernel 2.6.25 and 2.6.26 also introduced better support for more wireless chipset. Notably inclusion of device drivers for Atheros chipset.

Though wireless was a nightmare on Ubuntu too. I personally do not see Linux being a threat to Windows for a long, long time. They need to get their act together and stop making 500+ different distros before they can even think to compete.

Diversity is a strength. Its probably more like 1000+. :gold:

Anyone can roll their own distribution, there is nothing stopping you from rolling your own distribution if you so wish.

Some distributions are internal, such as Goobuntu is only internally used at Google. Most distributions have a small user base, so you can ignore them and just pay attention to the major onces such as Ubuntu, openSUSE, and Fedora.

Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" (due to be released in October 30th) includes NetworkManager Applet 0.7.0, a new version which will make wireless networking easier.

Kernel 2.6.25 and 2.6.26 also introduced better support for more wireless chipset. Notably inclusion of device drivers for Atheros chipset.

Indeed. I look forward to it. Though even once I have it, it will take a long time to ween me off of Windows onto it, but it will I reckon. But is gonna take about a year or so.

What do you think of its new UI?

I'm not so sure. Well, I am, and I'm not. Ubuntu in my mind is the biggest most popular release. Its still in its early days, but look how far its come. Give it 5 years or so, and I think PC enthusiasts will start looking into it very seriously.

Indeed. I look forward to it. Though even once I have it, it will take a long time to ween me off of Windows onto it, but it will I reckon. But is gonna take about a year or so.

What do you think of its new UI?

For me it took quite quick to get used to it. Though it may vary depending on user and what you use the computer for. I also had some prior knowledge since I tried out Slackware before, and been reading Linux websites, etc.

I mostly played one game, listened to music, and used the web. The game worked, I found a nice new media player, and I could use the same good old Firefox so my transition was pretty smooth.

With the new UI, I suppose you mean the dark theme.

It is just an additional theme, but it will not be the default theme Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex".

I think that it is nice, that users who like a dark theme now have the option to use a dark theme, but personally I prefer the good old classic Ubuntu theme.

For me it took quite quick to get used to it. Though it may vary depending on user and what you use the computer for. I also had some prior knowledge since I tried out Slackware before, and been reading Linux websites, etc.

I mostly played one game, listened to music, and used the web. The game worked, I found a nice new media player, and I could use the same good old Firefox so my transition was pretty smooth.

For me, I use MS Office (only cause the current OpenOffice doesn't fully support 2007Microsoft Office 2007 file format support, which it should do in 3.0, when is it due again?), Paint.NET now and again, surf the internet with Firefox, and download stuff, oh and play music. I think it'll suit me, just will take time top fele fully comfortable within it, which I do with Windows.

It is a shame that Wubi can't do a proper install of it, as for Ubuntu newbies learning how to install Ubuntu to a pre-made partition (E drive) is daunting, whilst with Wubi its easy as hell. I think that is something Ubuntu should really work on, having features that pull in Windows users, but are eays to sue for them too, because lets face it, that's the majority of the market.

With the new UI, I suppose you mean the dark theme.

It is just an additional theme, but it will not be the default theme Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex".

I think that it is nice, that users who like a dark theme now have the option to use a dark theme, but personally I prefer the good old classic Ubuntu theme.

I prefer the original too. I thought it was going to be the default theme:

Ubuntu 8.10 has several planned new features including a new default theme

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu#Ubuntu...ntrepid_Ibex.29

and

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-ar...ary/004855.html

For me, I use MS Office (only cause the current OpenOffice doesn't fully support 2007Microsoft Office 2007 file format support, which it should do in 3.0, when is it due again?), Paint.NET now and again, surf the internet with Firefox, and download stuff, oh and play music. I think it'll suit me, just will take time top fele fully comfortable within it, which I do with Windows.

It is a shame that Wubi can't do a proper install of it, as for Ubuntu newbies learning how to install Ubuntu to a pre-made partition (E drive) is daunting, whilst with Wubi its easy as hell. I think that is something Ubuntu should really work on, having features that pull in Windows users, but are eays to sue for them too, because lets face it, that's the majority of the market.

OpenOffice.org 3 is scheduled to be released for September 2008.

If Wubi would make a real installation, it would be much more complex. Wubi is dead simple and very safe, due to the way it works that it loop-mounts an file as a virtual disk.

The installation of Ubuntu on a new computer, might even be easier than that of Windows.

I prefer the original too. I thought it was going to be the default theme:

I am not sure, I heard it wouldn't be.

Either way, the original would still be available I think.

OpenOffice.org 3 is scheduled to be released for September 2008.

If Wubi would make a real installation, it would be much more complex. Wubi is dead simple and very safe, due to the way it works that it loop-mounts an file as a virtual disk.

The installation of Ubuntu on a new computer, might even be easier than that of Windows.

Maybe Wubi shouldn't then, but I think there should be an option somewhere in the installer, like Full Install for Windows Users or something like that. Look forward to OpenOffice 3.

I am not sure, I heard it wouldn't be.

Either way, the original would still be available I think.

I hope so.

• 2 weeks later...